Chicago Cultural Center: Ongoing Exhibitions. Head over to the Chicago Cultural Center to check out FREE exhibitions and related events:
Where: Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St., 312-744-6630.
Ongoing Programs and Exhibitions
Eugene Eda’s Doors for Malcolm X College, Sidney R. Yates Gallery, 4th Floor North, January 21-June 25, 2017
Chicago Architecture Biennial Installations, Various Locations, Ongoing
Stand Up for Landmarks! Protests, Posters & Pictures, Landmark Chicago Gallery, 1st Floor South, Ongoing
Chicago Cultural Center Artists in Residence and Curatorial Fellows, Garland Gallery, 1st Floor South, Winter 2017
StoryCorps, 1st Floor North, Ongoing
Chicago Greeter “Insta-Greeter” Visits, Fridays-Sundays, Visitor Information Center, 10am–3pm
Building Tours, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, meet at Randolph Lobby, 1:15pm
View the Exhibitions page.
About the Chicago Cultural Center
The Chicago Cultural Center, opened in 1897, was the first permanent Chicago Public Library after the original library was lost in the Chicago fire in 1871. In addition to the library the building was also a Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (on the north side) dedicated to Northern soldiers who fought in the Civil War. All the Civil War artifacts once displayed here are now located at the Harold Washington Library. Here’s the buildings extensive history.
The City of Chicago refers to it as “a People’s Palace – a celebration of the arts, education, Chicago, and the world.”
There is also a free building tour showcasing the Greek-inspired (north side) and Roman-inspired (south side) architecture, two domes (one of which is the world’s largest Tiffany Dome) and ornate multi-colored mosaics, marble and decorative molding.
Public Group Tours:
- Tours are presented Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 1:15pm and are 45-60 minutes long. Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- The group will be limited to the first twenty people.
- To schedule tours for groups of ten or more at other times, contact Anna Marie Gazzi at 312.744.7917.
Private Group Tours:
- Trained docents will conduct free, prearranged private tours for adult groups on Mondays though Fridays, 9 am-3 pm.
- Private tours are not available during weekends.
- Private tours are designed for adults and teenagers 13 years and over.
- Group sizes are limited, call for details.
- Reservations must be made at least one week in advance of the scheduled date by calling 312.744.7917.
- Private tours begin at the Chicago Cultural Center Information Desk in the Randolph Street lobby.
All self-guided group tours must check in with security upon entry.