Cook County Forest Preserves Camping. In 2015 the Forest Preserve of Cook County (FPCC) began offering camping to all Cook County residents for $20 a night to pitch a tent to $250 a night to rent a large bunkhouse. Non-Cook County residents are also welcome for slightly higher rates.
Camping is available April 1- October 1, 2017. Reservations open 1/3/2017.
- Reserve Online: Click here to reserve online. Online reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance of your stay. If you are interested in a last minute reservation or Organized Group Campsites, please choose the phone or in-person options.
- Reserve by Phone: Call 855-YES-CAMP to make a reservation by phone, or call the campgrounds directly. Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Reserve In Person: Visit 536 N Harlem Ave, River Forest, IL 60305, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- New in 2017: Stay Ten Nights and Get One Free. Get your pass at any Forest Preserves campground. Call 855-YES-CAMP for more details.
- The camper applying for a reservation must be 18 years or older to reserve a campsite and 21 years or older to reserve a cabin.
- Reservations made less than 48 hours in advance cannot be made online. Please call the campgrounds directly.
- You may book up to 6 consecutive nights.
- Campground capacities are as follows:
- Tent Campsite: 6 people
- RV/Tent Campsite (With Electricity): 6 people
- Small Cabin: 8 people
- Large Cabin: 10 people
- Small Bunkhouse: 16 people
- Large Bunkhouse: 36 people
- Maximum length of RV/Popup or Camper cannot exceed 40 feet at applicable campgrounds.
Cancelling a Reservation
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations of cabins, tent pads RV or group sites within 48 hours from the beginning of a reservation.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations of the bunk houses at Camp Sullivan within two weeks from the beginning of a reservation.
- FPCC is not responsible for cancellations due to weather.
- No refunds will be issued if a member of the camping party on the reservation is ejected for a violation of rules or policies.
- FPCC reserves the right to cancel a reservation at any time. If a reservation is cancelled by FPCC staff for any reason, a full refund will be issued.
Rental equipment available
If you want to really camp, on the ground in a tent, and you don’t have gear you can rent it. Following registration, campers will receive a phone call to confirm their reservation, and may select from rental options at that time. All rentals must be reserved prior to arrival at campground. Individual items are available for sale. Rental rates here.
“Instant Camper” Gear Rental
Campers at all Forest Preserves campgrounds can rent basic gear packages (for one, two or four campers). Each package includes:
- Tent (1 total)
- Flashlight (1 total)
- Portable Chair(s) (1 total for One-Camper Package, 2 total for Two- and Four-Camper Packages)
- Binoculars (1 total)
- Sleeping bag(s) (1 per person)
- Pillow(s) (1 per person, yours to keep!)
Following registration, campers will receive a phone call to confirm their reservation, and may select from rental options at that time. All rentals must be reserved prior to arrival at campground. Individual items are available for sale.
Many of the camp sites have access to: Nature Trails, Nature Preserves, Nature Center, Bike Rental (coming soon), Boat Rental (coming soon), Program Building, Fishing, Free Programs, Shelters and picnic areas, and Restrooms and Showers. Click on the link for any campsite for more details.
Many campsites have free activities on select dates year round.
9600 Wolf Rd, Willow Springs, IL 60480 312-636-9785.
Bull Frog and Maple Lake accommodations range from two-bedroom heated cabins to primitive cabins and a variety of walk-in or pull-up camp sites. Two group sites can each accommodate 25.
Camp Reinberg – Palatine
1801 N Quentin Rd, Palatine, IL 60074 (map)
Camp Reinberg, located at 1801 N. Quentin Road in Palatine, offers a variety of camping options. There are several two-bedroom cabins which accommodate up to 10 people with air conditioning and a private bathroom with a shower. Smaller cabins accommodate up to eight people and have access to modern toilet and shower facilities. Camp Reinberg also has spots for small RVs, mulch tent pad sites and a large dining hall with two community kitchens.
14630 Oak Park Ave, Oak Forest, IL 60452, 312-636-0041.
Camp Sullivan’s facilities include an historic barn, bunkhouses and family camping in the wooded area along the existing drive and RV/Tent Campsite (With Electricity). The bunkhouse has toilets and showers.
Camp Dan Beard has been utilized by the Boy Scouts for over 50 years. features renovated rustic cabins perfect for group or family campers. The site also includes open fields for group tent camping.
15810 S. Torrence Ave., South Holland, IL, US 60473, 312-636-0018.
Camp Shabbona Woods Camp Shabbona Woods features small three-season cabins maximum capacity 8-10 people (per FPCC “with four-six people sleeping on the floor”!), mulch tent pads (maximum capacity per campsite 6).