Where: Near North Library: 310 W. Division Street,
Finding Your Family Tree
Find help with your genealogy questions to move your research forward. We’re looking to create a community of genealogy buffs, in a casual setting, whose experiences can benefit each other.
Please bring a laptop if you have one.
About Near North Branch
- Near North Branch was dedicated August 6, 1997, replacing a temporary reading room in Seward Park.
- Near North Branch originally opened October 12, 1972 in two combined apartments at 1157 N. Cleveland Avenue as a study center for residents of the Cabrini Green Housing Project.
- a painting entitled “Two Children: Boy and Girl” by William Gettings
- Near North Branch also features artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program:
- a mixed media collage entitled “Scott Street at Cabrini Green” by Mat Barber Kennedy
- a series of paintings entitled “Illinois Writers” by Steve Musgrave
- a painting entitled “Key Bearer U” by Jane Williams Ferris