Shop Jewel Earn Shell Gas Discount. I don’t live near a Jewel but whenever I’m going close to one I always peruse the Weekly ad in advance and pop in and pick up the sale items. And bread – Jewel has a very good bakery. Anyway on my last visit I noticed that they have a deal where you can earn up to 20 cents off per gallon when shopping at any Jewel-Osco store and can redeem those Gas Rewards at participating Shell stations.
Jewel has improved their pricing
If you haven’t shopped at Jewel in a while in 2013 they were bought by the same hedge fund that turned around Albertson’s on the west coast. Jewel stores aren’t flashy or beautiful but their sale prices can be fantastic. In the end it doesn’t matter what the store looks like all that matters is how much money you can save!
Shell is convenient
I use very little gas so I get mine at a conveniently located Shell. When I’m at Costco the lines are always so long it isn’t worth my time to sit there. I would never consider driving out of my way to buy cheaper gas because the fuel you use driving there and the time driving and waiting erases the savings. If you use a lot of gas and you buy the loss leaders and sale items at Jewel this offer may be worth it for you. Or if you’re like me and go to both anyway this is a win-win.
You can shop at Jewel for food and gift cards (more info below) and save on gas at the same time.
Here’s how it works:
Register for Jewel’s reward program MyMixx.
It takes about a minute to join. You must include your phone number in your profile so when you shop you just enter your phone number to earn points. You will also need to use your phone number at the pump at Shell to redeem your reward. You’ll receive member discounts, special offers and credit for the Shell deal. I get one email a week from Jewel and they do not text.
Go grocery shopping.
You will receive 1 Point for every $1 spent on groceries. There’s a long list of exclusions below. Essentially all food and beverages earn points except booze. 100 points ($100 spent on food) = 10¢ per gallon Gas Reward; 200 points = 20¢ per gallon Gas Reward.
Any points earned below 100 expire at the end of the calendar month in which they are earned. There are more details on how to use MYMixx features to make shopping easy and cheap below. Be sure to use a credit card that offers a bonus for grocery store purchases. Jewel-Osco locator.
Use the Jewel Pharmacy.
You will earn 1 Point for every $1 spent on out- of-pocket pharmacy costs. You can check your prescription price by calling the Osco Pharmacy.
Buy gift cards.
This is the sweet spot. You will earn 2 points for every $1 spent on qualifying gift cards. Regular readers of this site know I love a discounted gift card. All gift cards earn points except Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Jewel and Shell gift cards. So spend $100 on gift cards x 2 points = $4 discount or 4% discount. Jewel sells Amazon, Starbucks and other merchant gift cards.
Go to a participating Shell and redeem the discount
The maximum discount is 2o cents on 20 gallons or $4. Gas Rewards earned during each month may be used only through the end of the following calendar month. At the pump it will ask for your rewards number. You should hit alternate number and enter the phone number registered to your account. Shell Station locator.
How to maximize MyMixx and Gas Rewards program:
- Log in to your Jewel account weekly online of with the app.
- Check for any weekly bonus Gas Rewards offers you can use. Clip them to your card.
- Check for coupons you can use. Clip them to your card.
- Scour the Weekly ads for loss leader and sale items. The Weekly Ads come out on Wednesday. Buy all the sale items you can use. When you click on an item in the ad you can add it to your shopping list that you can email to yourself. Remember you can freeze things. Earlier this year I bought three pounds of strawberries for $3 at Jewel which I cleaned, trimmed and flash froze for future smoothies.
- Every Saturday Jewel offers one or more free items. If it’s something you can use clip it to your card
- Go shopping. Within 4 hours of earning a reward you can gas up at a discount.
- You can check you Gas Rewards either online or through the app under MyMixx.
While writing this post Jewel had an offer Buy a $50 Sephora gift card earn 10x Gas Rewards or 500 points. Voila. You would save $8 (if you fill up twice) because you’ve earned two separate gas rewards. $8/$50= 16%.
Rules and regulations
- MAXIMUM GAS REWARD REDEEMABLE AT PARTICIPATING SHELL STATIONS IS 20¢ PER GALLON OF SHELL BRANDED FUEL.
- Points are earned based on whole dollars spent in eligible purchase transactions; cents are not counted (for example, if you spend $5.75 in a single transaction, you will earn 5 points; 75¢ not counted).
- For each 100 points earned within one calendar month, you will receive a Gas Reward equal to 10¢ per gallon:
- 100 points = 10¢ per gallon Gas Reward
- 200 points = 20¢ per gallon Gas Reward,
- No Gas Rewards will accrue to points that do not reach the next $100 dollar threshold, and such points expire at the end of the calendar month in which they are earned.
- Gas Rewards earned during each month may be used only through the end of the following calendar month (for example, Gas Rewards earned in January expire at the end of February).
- Gas Rewards savings are limited to 20 gallons of fuel per purchase, per vehicle, or fraud limits placed by Shell and/or limits placed on your payment card by your financial institution, each of which may be lower.
- Dispenser may require a price of up to 10.9 cents per gallon.
- For purchases of $75 or more, please go inside to pay.
- Unbranded diesel and alternative fuels may not be eligible.
- It may not be possible to combine multiple discounts and/or rewards in a single transaction.
- No Gas Rewards will be applied unless eligibility is established before pumping fuel.
- Gas Rewards will be available for use at participating stations approximately 4 hours after earning them.
- Gas Rewards may be redeemed only at participating Shell stations.
Purchases not eligible for points or Gas Rewards
Purchases of the following items will not be eligible for points or Gas Rewards:
- beer, wine and tobacco (and spirits in certain states);
- fuel and automotive services;
- bus passes, commuter passes, fishing or hunting licenses, ski passes, postage stamps, lottery tickets, amusement park passes, and event tickets;
- any financial instrument that can be redeemed for goods or services at participating Albertsons Companies Banner stores – including (but not limited to) gift certificates, money orders, and gift or debit cards issued by American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, NetSpend®, PayPower™, Green Dot®, Univision Mastercard®, or any Albertsons Companies Banner store;
- mobile phone cards
- Shell Gift Cards.
- Sales tax payments and redemption value deposits are not purchases and are not eligible to earn points.
- Only out-of-pocket pharmacy costs (for example, prescription co-pays) are eligible to earn points.
- Fast Forward and SmartCheck are not accepted as forms of payment at Shell stations.
All trademarks are property of their respective owners and are used with permission. Program may be discontinued or changed at any time without notice. Online and in-store prices, discounts, and offers may differ. Void or subject to restrictions based upon applicable law.