Where: Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State Street,
2017 Zena Sutherland Lecture presented by Melissa Sweet
Friday, May 5, 2017 (7:30PM – 8:30PM)RSVP
Calling all librarians, teachers and educators: Join us for this year’s Zena Sutherland Lecture: “To Inform and Delight: The Elements of Story” presented by Melissa Sweet.
A limited number of tickets are available for this scholarly lecture for librarians, teachers and educators. There will be no book signing or photographs.
Melissa Sweet is a prolific author and illustrator who has received the Sibert Award for Balloons Over Broadway and multiple Caldecott Honors for her work with author Jen Bryant. Her most recent book, Some Writer! is a New York Times bestseller and Chicago Public Library Best of the Best selection.
Author Victoria Lautman discusses “The Vanishing Stepwells of India”
Tuesday, May 9, 2017 (6:00PM – 7:15PM)
Tourists throng India’s temples, palaces, forts and mosques, but the country’s ancient stepwells are largely unknown. These remarkable subterranean structures not only provided communities with water all year long but also served as civic centers, refuges, remote oases and, in many cases, active places of worship. But besides their many functions, stepwells were marvels of engineering, architecture, and art. Some were lavish and ornate, others minimal and utilitarian. They could be enormous, plunging nine stories into the earth, or could be intimately scaled for private use. Thousands of these fascinating edifices once proliferated across India, but most were abandoned as a result of modernization and depleted water tables. While some have been restored by the government, most are sadly neglected and in danger of extinction.
Author and Historian David McCullough reads from and discusses “The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For” Tuesday, May 16, 2017 (1:00PM – 2:15PM)9th Floor
In honor of the opening of the new American Writers Museum, David McCullough will read from and discuss his new book, The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For. This collection of speeches by the most honored historian of the United States reminds us of who we are and what we stand for. Dr. McCullough will sign copies of the book, which will be available for sale at the event from The Book Stall at Chestnut Court. Presented in partnership with the American Writers Museum.
Dr. McCullough will appear in the Harold Washington Library Center’s Winter Garden, located on the 9th floor. Seating is limited and available first come, first served (500 max.). Details are being finalized. Please check again soon for any updates.
About the Chicago Public Library
1871: After the Chicago Fire, Thomas Hughes, a prominent member of British Parliament and children’s author who had visited Chicago in 1870 supports a plan to donate more than 8,000 books to Chicago. Chicago citizens petition for a free public library. Previous libraries were private membership-only organizations. The Children’s Library at Harold Washington Library Center is named after Thomas Hughes
1872: The Illinois Library Act of 1872, authorized cities to establish tax-supported libraries throughout the state. In April, the City Council passed an ordinance proclaiming the establishment of Chicago Public Library.
1873: The Chicago Public Library opens at the southeast corner of LaSalle and Adams streets in a circular water tank that survived the fire. The library moved several times during its first 24 years, including an 11-years on the fourth floor of City Hall.
1874: A delivery station system of outposts served Chicago’s neighborhoods mostly in stores. Patrons could call for a book, which was delivered by horse-drawn carriage to the outpost nearest their home. By the early 1900s deposit stations accounted for two-thirds of the circulation of the Chicago Public Library.
1897: October 11, the Central Library, on Michigan Avenue between Washington and Randolph streets, opens in what is now the Chicago Cultural Center. The building cost about $2 million, was designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge. The building was designed to be practically incombustible. Preston Bradley Hall, contains a dome and hanging lamps by Tiffany Glass.
1904: Isabella N. Blackstone donates funds to construct the first branch library, located in the Hyde Park and Kenwood neighborhoods. The library was modeled after the famous Erechtheion on the Acropolis in Athens, Greece.
1916: Chief Librarian Henry E. Legler presented a library plan calling for an network of neighborhood library locations to bring library service within the walking distance for every person in Chicago. The plan called for several regional libraries with more comprehensive collections. The first regional library, the Henry E. Legler Regional Library, opened in 1920 in West Garfield Park.
1918: Carl B. Roden, who began work as a library page in 1886, was appointed chief librarian. Over 32 years (1918-1950) he increased staff, holdings, circulation and total expenditures exponentially. The Carl B. Roden Branch in the Norwood Park neighborhood, where he resided, is named in his honor.
1960s: CPL added a significant number of neighborhood branch libraries, via new construction or leasing storefronts or reading rooms. By 1985, there were 76 branches.
1991: The new main library the Harold Washington Library Center opened October 7.
1995: Chicago Public Library established its website.
1996: A three-year, $65 million capital improvement plan begins building or renovating 52 neighborhood libraries.
2000: $44 million in neighborhood library construction begins.