Activate: Art Music People Alleys.
When: Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:00PM-10:00PM. RSVP for a free drink. Check back here and you should be able to RSVP for all future dates at once.
Where: Symphony Center Alley, 225 S. Wabash Map
The Chicago Loop Alliance hosts a FREE monthly event, Activate, billed as “pop-up urban experiences” which takes place in a different Loop alley each month. During or after the event use your wristband to get discounts listed below.
This month’s theme
ACTIVATE: Green Room in the Symphony Center alley with the sensational spirit of drag. In celebration of the City of Chicago’s Year of Chicago Theatre, top drag queens and kings will perform iconic songs from beloved musicals, all in the majesty of larger-than-life pop art, inflatable sculptures, and eye-popping set designs. Play a part in the transformation with theatrical makeup and an interactive video booth, and revel in the sounds of House and techno DJs—all in the alley behind one of the Loop’s iconic theaters.
Events are free and open to the public. RSVP in advance for a free drink ticket (21+).
Elements of “ACTIVATE: Green Room” include:
· Fashion and soft sculpture by Eda Birthing
· Pop art illustrations exhibit by Draco
· Projection alley by Sara Goodman
· Interactive video booth by Unatronics
· Sculptural stage set design by Steven Teichelman of Threefold
· Makeup transformation stations by Auntie Heroine, Siichele and JForPay
· Music by DJs Ariel Zetina and Miss Twink USA
· Live model painting by Blick Art Materials
· Installations by students in The School of the Art Institute of Chicago’s summer ACTIVATE class, part of its Department of Architecture, Interior Architecture, and Designed Objects
· Drag performances by:
o Bambi Banks Couleè
o Danika Bone’t
o Cleo Pockalipps
o Aunty Chan
o Bella DeBalle
o Lucy Stoole
o Alexis Bevels
o KAT SASS
o Grelley Duvall
o Ari Gato
o Travis Fiero
o That Bitch
o XO Carrington
o Chanel Mercedes-Benz
o Alex Jenny
o Brian Bandura
ACTIVATE is a popular annual series of pop-up arts programs launched in 2014 that transform alleys and other unexpected places into creative exhibition spaces. ACTIVATE brings people together for an evening of exploration, interaction and celebration in the public realm, inspiring guests to see the Loop anew. Each month has a different theme.