Art Institute of Chicago Free Movie
One Book One Chicago Program: Into the Void
In the late 1960s, artist Lee Bontecou used black voids, cosmic orbs, floating teeth, and mutant flowers to evoke the fascination and terror she had about a post-WWII, nuclear future. In this interactive and conversational gathering, we’ll dive into these conflicting ideas by visiting the exhibition Into the Void: Prints of Lee Bontecou (on view January 26-May 5), and then create our own expressions about the future through writing and drawing exercises.
History of the Art Institute of Chicago
1879: The Art Institute of Chicago was founded as the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts and as both a museum and school for the fine arts. This was during the period when Chicago was rebuilding after the fire in 1871.
1893: The Art Institute moved into it’s permanent home on Michigan Avenue at Adams Street which was constructed jointly with the city of Chicago for the World’s Columbian Exposition. The Art Institute officially opened on December 8, 1893. The classical Beaux-Arts building was designed by the Boston firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge. Most artwork at opening was plaster casts reproductions of sculpture and statuary.
Within a year, the Art Institute had received its first major gift, a collection of French paintings presented by Mrs. Henry Field.
1898: Fullerton Auditorium addition. Contains a leaded stained glass dome originally installed by Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios in 1898.
1901: Ryerson Library addition designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge.
1913: Lorado Taft’s Fountain of the Great Lakes dedicated on south side of the main building.
1924: McClintock Court addition designed by Coolidge & Hodgdon. This was built over the Illinois Central Railroad tracks that bordered the Art Institute’s east wall.
1924: Bertha Honoré Palmer bequeaths 52 Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings.
1925: Kenneth Sawyer Goodman Theater addition designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw. This was also built over the Illinois Central Railroad tracks that bordered the Art Institute’s east wall.
1925: Helen Birch Bartlett Memorial Collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings are gifted to the AIC. One of the paintings is Sunday Afternoon on La Grande Jatte 1884.
????: Martin A. Ryerson donatesa collections of masterpieces ranging from American and European paintings dating to the 15th century to textiles, prints and drawings, Asian art, and European decorative arts.
1958: B. F. Ferguson Memorial Building addition designed by Holabird & Root & Burgee. This building was named the Allerton Building in 1968 after long-time trustee Robert Allerton.
1962: Morton Wing, designed by Shaw, Metz, & Assoc, opens south of the Allerton Building to house the expanding modern art collection and restore symmetry to the complex.
Mrs. Stanley McCormick’s gift of gardens in front of both the Ferguson and Morton additions linked the Art Institute to surrounding parks.
1977: Columbus Drive Addition and School of the Art Institute, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, 1977. This addition houses among other things a film center, new public spaces for the museum and the Louis Sullivan original Chicago Stock Exchange Trading Room.
1988: Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Building designed by Hammond, Beeby & Babka. This wing still houses the museum’s largest special exhibition space, Regenstein Hall.
1994: Ryerson Library was renovated with restored interiors.
2001: Fullerton Hall Restoration by Weese Langley Weese: Gilmore, Franzen Architects.
2009: The 264,000 square foot Modern Wing designed by Renzo Piano opens.
The permanent collection has grown from plaster casts to nearly 300,000 works of art in over 1 million square feet of exhibition space.