Bucktown Yard Sale May 14.
When: May 14, 2016, 9:00am to 3:00pm
Where: Holstein Park, 2200 N. Oakley Ave., (312) 742-7554 North of the playground.
Check out the first annual Bucktown Yard Sale. Register now to unload your junk for cash. Or look for deals on things you need. The sale will offer baby and kid clothes, kitchen gear, books, craft supplies, linens, and furniture.
While you’re there check out the Field House.
About Holstein Park
- In 1854 three developers reserved two acres of their subdivision as Holstein Park to enhance the area and its property values.
- The surrounding area was known as Holstein, after Schleswig – Holstein, now a region of Germany where many local residents were from.
- The developers expected the city to beautify Holstein Park but it remained unimproved for more than 40 years.
- 1901 the city transferred the park to the West Park System.
- 1912 the brick fieldhouse, designed by Illinois state architect William Carbys Zimmermann, opens.
- 1917 the park commissioners enlarged Holstein Park by purchasing 16 lots north of what is now Palmer Street.
- 1934 Holstein Park is incorporated into a unified Chicago Park District.
- 1979 Logan School burns down and this adjoining property to the north was added and renamed Senior Citizen Park.
- 2014 the fieldhouse received a $2.1M upgrade with funds from the Chicago Park District, city and state. Local residents through the Friends of Holstein Park raised$150k.
- The current park has a Fieldhouse with two gyms, an assembly hall and club rooms. The park contains an Olympic size swimming pool, a wading pool, baseball and softball fields, basketball courts and a playground.