Maximize Q1 2018 Chase Freedom 5% Cash Back. If you have a regular Chase Freedom credit card (not Freedom Unlimited) you may be aware of the 5% cash back quarterly bonuses for spend up to $1,500. Q1 January 1-March 31, 2018 categories are: gas stations, internet, cable and phone service merchants and mobile wallets.
5% off groceries, Apple, dining, Target, Walmart, Uber and more (depending on device)
This is the first time Chase has offered mobile wallets as a category bonus and the options are fantastic depending on what type of device you have. If you haven’t registered for this quarter you have until March 14. All of the information below is subject to change without notice. Check the websites for all participating retailers.
Get a Chase Freedom card and $150 bonus
If you don’t currently have the Chase Freedom apply now and you’ll earn a $150 bonus after spending $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. This card has no annual fee but does charge 3% foreign transaction fees. I generally max out at least two quarterly 5% cash back bonuses. In 2017 I earned $203 cash back. Some past quarterly bonus categories have been grocery, drug, and department stores and restaurants. Apply here using my referral link. Thank you in advance.
Maximize Cash back through Apple Pay
Apple Store: I’ve never bought anything at an Apple Store because you can always find a better price elsewhere. If you were going to buy a new device or accessory this quarter I would price check and if the price is the same everywhere then you can save 5% through Apply Pay. However if you like to have an extended warranty through your credit card I wouldn’t pay with Chase Freedom. In addition to in-store you can also use it on the website.
Instacart: You can use Apple Pay on the app and website.
Jewel/Osco, Trader Joes and Whole Foods: If you aren’t getting a discount on your groceries from another credit card here’s a chance to get 5% off. If you have the cash consider buying a gift card to use later in the year. Also Whole Foods now sells Amazon gift cards so you can use this indirectly to get 5% off at Amazon.
OfficeMax/Depot and Staples: Omax and Staples both sell third party gift cards for restaurants including Starbucks, Panera and department stores such as Macy’s and more. Get 5% off dining and shopping. I know Staples sells Amazon gift cards so you can get 5% off at Amazon.
Petco and Petsmart: Stock up on kibble and chow for fido or you cat.
Starbucks: If you’re patient and can wait for deals like as this – skip this.
Walgreens: WAG sells third party gift cards for restaurants including Starbucks, Panera and department stores such as Macy’s and more. Get 5% off dining and shopping.
Target: Target accepts Apple Pay in their app only. You could use it to shop and then pick up your items to avoid shipping fees.
Uber: Uber accepts Apple Pay.
Maximize Cash back through Chase Pay
Chase Pay has very limited options. I use the app to order food when they give me free cash (under Offers in the app). Chase Pay is accepted at Walmart.com and you can earn another 2% cash back when you shop online through Chase’s shopping portal. Ebags also accepts Chase Pay and offers 7% cash back through the Chase portal.
Maximize Cash back through Android Pay
Android pay is available, in-store, at many of the same retailers as Apple Pay including: Jewel/Osco, OfficeMax, Staples, Trader Joes, Walgreens and Whole Foods. Read how to take advantage at these stores under Apple Pay. Android Pay is available in a lot of apps.
Maximize Cash back through Samsung Pay
Samsung Pay works at almost all retailers including those that use older magnetic-stripe point-of-sale terminals without merchants needing to opt in to any program.
Summary to maximize the 5% cash back
- If you don’t have a Freedom Apply here using my referral link
- Use your Chase Freedom card to purchase all gas in your household and to pay cell phones, internet, cable and landline bills. Pay your cell phone bills directly through your service provider to make sure it’s eligible.
- Bookmark this post so you can search for participating retailers when shopping.
- Activate 5% cash back on your Freedom card here. You have until March 14 to activate. You’ll earn points back to Jan 1.
- If you haven’t done so already, set up whichever wallet(s) you have access to.
- Add your Chase Freedom card to your wallet(s).
- Make a list. I’m making a list of items and gift cards I need in order to get 5%. cash back on the full $1,500. No need to rush out immediately. You have until March 31 to take advantage of this offer.
- Go shopping and save! If ordering online I would order a couple weeks early. If your merchandise ships and is charged to your credit card after March 31 you won’t get the 5% cash back.