The City of Chicago offers a get FREE resource available to all residents – 311. The next time you need something done on your street or in your neighborhood check 311 first and see if you can get it done for free.
You can call 311 (If 3-1-1 doesn’t work from your cell phone dial 312.744.5000), file an online service ticket, use the 311 App or text the City.
Here are some of the services 311 offers:
- Find services and programs within the City of Chicago, or to find the appropriate department or agency to direct your questions and/or concerns.
- Request numerous City Services:
- yard waste removal
- request garbage carts
- report stray animals
- report abandoned vehicles
- Street Lights – All/Out
- Graffiti Removal
- Rodent Baiting/Rat Complaint
- Shelter Request
- Building Violation
- Pot Hole in Street
- Abandoned Vehicle Complaint
- Clean vacant lot
- much more.
Check out Chicago 311 free services – File some Non-emergency Police Reports
- Find out what Police District and beat you live in, as well as the date, time and location of your next beat meeting.
- File a non-emergency police report or talk to police personnel in your district. Dial 311 if the incident that you are reporting has occurred and the offender is gone from the scene. Dial 911 if the incident you are reporting is in progress and the presence of a police officer will help resolve the matter.
- Motor Vehicle Theft
- Lost Property
- Telephone Threats
- Burglary (Garage)
- Deceptive Practice
- Harassment by Telephone
- and more.
Contact your Alderman
Find out what political district you live in (federal, state or municipal), as well as the name, address and telephone number of your Alderman so you can forward your questions and/or concerns directly.
Check out Chicago 311 free services – ChiTEXT features include the following:
When you text the city you can have information sent directly to their mobile phone for commonly asked questions, request a city service and to opt-in for various city alerts.
- Self-service mobile phone functionality
- Additional channel to request City Services, information and events
- Increased access to check status of Service Requests
- Decreased 311 Call Center call volume and customer wait times
- Constituent satisfaction
Users can select an option from a menu of information and receive responses in the form of text messages from the City of Chicago. To begin, users can text the word CHICAGO to 311311. The requester will receive an automated response with a menu offering five (5) possible options:
- OPTION A: CONTACT INFORMATION (government agency, public utility, etc.)
- OPTION B: LOCATION SEARCH (ward/alderman, police beat/district information)
- OPTION C: TOWED/RELOCATED VEHICLE (find a towed or relocated vehicle)
- OPTION D: CITY ALERTS (Opt-In to receive preferred city information alerts)
- OPTION E: REQUEST SERVICES (request a city service from a select list)
- How To Use ChiTEXT Instructions provide step-by-step instructions.
- The ChiTEXT video provides an audio and visual overview.
- Text “STOP” to ‘311311’ to cancel subscription.
- Message and data rates may apply.
- Text “HELP” to ‘311311’ for SMS usage information or send email to: CITYFEEDBACK@cityofchicago.org.