Depending on when you go, who you go with and how many movies you want to see the world-renowned Chicago International Film Festival has several ticket deals.
When: October 12-26, 2017 Film Descriptions and Film Schedule.
Where: AMC River East 21, 322 E. Illinois Street.
Regardless of how you decide to purchase your tickets keep in mind that in 2016, over 75% of festival films were sold out. The CIFF recommends that you purchase your tickets in advance to avoid sold out screenings and lines at the theater. Tickets go on sale September 22 for general public.
Matinees and late night: The cheapest option is to go to matinees which are films screening through 5PM, Monday-Friday for $8. Or After Dark films after 10PM every day are $10.
General Screenings: General Screenings outside of the above times are $15 for Non-members and $12 for Members, students and seniors (with valid ID).
Special presentations: Special Presentations are Members $17 and Non-members $20.
Regardless of which type of tickets you purchase you should avoid Ticketmaster. Last year they were charging fees of $3-4 per ticket plus fees to print or ship the tickets.
Buy tickets at Film Festival Box Offices
- AMC Box Office In person at AMC River East 21, 322 E Illinois St. Sept 20 – Oct 12: Monday-Sunday, 12pm-8pm; Oct 13 – 26: open one hour before start of first screening of the day until the start of the last screening of the day
- Pop-Up Box Office In person at 400 S Dearborn St Sept 20th – Oct 26th: Monday-Friday 10am-6pm, Saturday 10am-3pm
- Festival Hotline 312-332-FILM (3456) Monday-Friday 10am-6pm; Saturday 10am-3pm
Become a member
Membership is $80 for Individuals and $130 for Dual (2 members). $55 for Students and Seniors.
Passes (available until October 26)
There are two types of passes:
Moviegoer Pass: 10 admissions to any general screening. $105 for Festival members, $135 for non-members
Passport Pass: 20 admissions to any general screening. $200 for Festival members, $260 for non-members
- Passes can be split by multiple people so for example if you are a couple and want to see 5 films you can buy a Moviegoer Pass for $135 and pay $13.50 per film per person.
- You can purchase a pass at the AMC River East 21 for no additional charge.
- You can purchase a pass online on the CIFF website or over the phone from the Film Festival Office (312-332-3456) for a $4 additional charge.
- When you buy a pass it is a punch card. You have to go to either the Film Festival Office or the Festival Box Office at the AMC River East 21 to exchange the pass for individual movie tickets.
- You must redeem your Pass in person! They do not exchange passes for tickets over the phone and strongly encourage you to redeem all your tickets in advance to avoid lines and sold-out screenings.
- During the Festival, from Friday at 5pm through Sunday, passes can only be purchased in person at the Festival Box Office at the AMC River East 21.
- Passes will be held at will call for pick up beginning September 20th at the Festival Box Office at the AMC River East 21. Passes will only be mailed upon request.
- Passes are not valid for Special and Gala Presentations, Tributes, Opening Night, Centerpiece, or Closing Night.
Rush Tickets – last minute tickets to sold out films
General Screenings $15 and Special Presentations: $20 CASH ONLY
1. Visit the RUSH COUNTER at the AMC River East 21 30 minutes before show time.
2. You will receive a numbered card. If seats become available 10 minutes before the film begins, you may exchange your card for your ticket.
3. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis, rush tickets seating may be the least desirable and available seats may not be next to each other.