When you walk into a Bargains in a Box store, you take a box with a string of nylon rope attached. You pull it through the store. It’s weird but effective. The box is easier to maneuver than a shopping card, and not heavy like a basket or tote would be.
Once you get the box, you add the bargains. And they were great! The company buys overstocks from different retailers and distributors. I noticed the Target, Walmart, and Costco brands on some of the items. The assortment changes all the time. On a recent day, there were lots of brand-name health and beauty items, toys, kitchen utensils, and manila envelopes. My best scores were a three-pair pack of women’s Wigwam-brand merino wool socks for $5.00 (a Costco closeout) and 12-packs of Pop-Tarts for $2.00 – not expired, either.
I visited the store at 4254 W. Belmont, in Cragin, but there are three locations in Chicago and one each in River Grove, Villa Park, and Wheeling. If you’re in the mood for bargains and adventure, they are must-sees.
- 1810N. 5th Ave., River Grove, IL 60171, Phone: (708) 395-4100
- 2659 N. Central Ave. , Chicago, IL 60639, Phone:(773) 622-0022
- 800 N. Kedzie Ave., Chicago, IL 60651, Phone: (773) 722-0022
- 4254 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago, IL 60641, Phone: (773) 481-7720
- 526 W. Dundee Rd, Wheeling, IL 60090, Phone: (847) 459-1700
- 330 E. North Ave. , Villa Park, IL 60181, Phone: (630) 279-5100