Chinatown Dragon Boat Races for Literacy.
When: Saturday, August 28, 2021; 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m with the Awards Ceremony. Races begin at 8 am. The Opening Ceremony begins with a Lion Dance at 9 am. Admission is free.
Where: Ping Tom Memorial Park, 300 W 19th St, (312) 747-6515. Take the Water Taxi. Expect short delays for the races if you go after they start.
In addition to the exciting races, guests can enjoy riding a free Chinatown Trolley which will travel from the park and loop around Chinatown during the event from 9 am – 4 pm.
- Opening ceremony with Lion Dance 9am
- Children’s activities
- Vendor booths
- Entertainment programming including Chinese dancers and performances throughout the day.
About Chicago Dragon Boat Race
Over 10,000 people will watch and participate in the activities. Proceeds from this year’s race will be donated to support and promote local literacy, cultural, and diversity programs.
The Chinese Dragon Boat Race dates back to over 2,000 years and is a popular sport in Chinese and Asian communities all over the world.
Started in 2000, the Chicago Dragon Boat Race is a family-fun activity enjoyed by the residents of Chinatown and the surrounding neighborhoods.
Approximately 30 teams fielded by businesses and other groups compete in the fast-paced boat tournament.
Other things to do in Chinatown
- Shopping: Chinatown has great deals on inexpensive knickknacks, lanterns, tiny silk purses, grosses of chopsticks etc. Try Chinatown Bazaar, 2221 S. Wentworth Ave., 312-225-1088. Woks ‘n’ Things try 2234 S Wentworth Ave, 312-842-0701. Chinatown Square 2133 S. China Place (312) 808-1745.
- Check out the Chinese-American Museum of Chicago, Raymond B. & Jean T. Lee Center, 238 West 23rd Street, 312-949-1000. Suggested donation $5 for adults, $3 for students and seniors.
- Dining: Many restaurants in Chinatown don’t take reservations except for large groups so you’ll have to make your way through the crowd and get on the list. At the minimum try calling ahead to get a reservation.
- Lao Sze Chuan is one of the best restaurants in Chinatown but getting in quickly may be difficult. Lao Sze Chuan, 2172 S. Archer Ave., 312-326-5040.
- Richland Center Food Court, Chinatown Square, 2002 S. Wentworth, Basement. Super cheap eats starting around $6.
- Architecture: Check out the Chinatown Library designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill at 2100 South Wentworth Avenue, (312) 747-8013.