Free audiobooks at Chicago Public Library. The CPL provides patrons with free access to audiobooks through Overdrive and RBdigital which allows you to borrow audiobooks on your computer, tablet and phone. You must have a CPL library card. You can borrow up to eight audiobooks.
Free audiobooks at Chicago Public Library Overdrive
1. Log in to Overdrive using your Chicago Public Library log in information here.
2. Click on “Collections”
3. Click on “Audiobooks Available now”. You can also go to the bottom and click on “See all”. Then you can find audiobooks to put on Hold.
4. Use the filters on the left to find what you’re looking for. You can filter for two formats: OverDrive Listen audiobook (listen in your browser) or MP3 audiobook. Here are FAQ for audiobooks.
5. Click on “Borrow”
6. To listen to immediately or later just Click on “Go to loans”.
7. You can download the MP3 file or listen in your browser.
8. Never buy another audiobook again!
How to get a free RBdigital account
Go to the RBdigital or app to set up an account. When you create a login you will be required to enter your library card number. RB Digital has a much smaller selection than Overdrive.
How it works
The CPL allows patrons to borrow up to 10 audiobooks titles from RBdigital each month. You can browse by genre – biography, history, travel etc. You can do a general search and once titles are up you can filter for further for categories such as Availability. Audiobooks are good for 21 days.
Click on “Borrow” and “Listen now”. Another window will open and you are ready to go. Or log back in later and click on “Account”, click on the item and “Play now”. Troubleshooting
Download the app
The app is easy to use and allows you to filter titles by genre, availability, and audience (adult, children etc.) and you can also put items on hold. You can go to “View all” then “Filter.”