Chamber Mondays explore a rich diversity of chamber music, featuring Chicago’s most talented classical, jazz, and ethnic music instrumentalists and vocalists.
Dame Myra Hess Memorial Concerts (Wednesdays) features solo and ensemble performances of classical music that showcase emerging performers.
Location: 78 E. Washington St., Preston Bradley Hall, 3rd floor south, 312-744-6630.
Upcoming Chamber 1st and 4th Monday concerts:
- Chicago Chamber Musicians August 7, 12:15pm
- Musicians Club of Women, The Award Winners in Concert Series featuring Esther Nyberg, piano, Farwell 2016 Aug. 28, 2017
Upcoming Wednesday Dame Myra Hess Memorial concerts (Broadcast live on WFMT 98.7 fm and streamed live at www.wfmt.com.):
- Karén Hakobyan, Piano August 2, 12:15pm
- Muen Wei, Piano August 16, 12:15pm
- Kinga Augustyn, Violin Kalina Mrmevska, Piano August 23, 12:15pm
- Adam Zukiewicz, Piano August 30, 12:15pm
- Thomas Mesa, Piano September 6, 12:15pm
- TBA September 13, 12:15pm
- Sung Chang, Piano September 20, 12:15pm
About the Chicago Cultural Center
The Chicago Cultural Center, opened in 1897, was the first permanent Chicago Public Library after the original library was lost in the Chicago fire in 1871. In addition to the library the building was also a Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (on the north side) dedicated to Northern soldiers who fought in the Civil War. All the Civil War artifacts once displayed here are now located at the Harold Washington Library. Here’s the buildings extensive history.
The City of Chicago refers to it as “a People’s Palace – a celebration of the arts, education, Chicago, and the world.”
There is also a free building tour showcasing the Greek-inspired (north side) and Roman-inspired (south side) architecture, two domes (one of which is the world’s largest Tiffany Dome) and ornate multi-colored mosaics, marble and decorative molding.
Public Group Tours:
- Tours are presented Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 1:15 pm.
- Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- The group will be limited to the first twenty people.
- To schedule tours for groups of ten or more at other times, contact Anna Marie Gazzi at 312.744.7917.
Private Group Tours:
- Trained docents will conduct free, prearranged private tours for adult groups on Mondays though Fridays, 9 am-3 pm.
- Private tours are not available during weekends.
- Private tours are designed for adults and teenagers 13 years and over.
- Group sizes are limited, call for details.
- Reservations must be made at least one week in advance of the scheduled date by calling 312.744.7917.
- Private tours begin at the Chicago Cultural Center Information Desk in the Randolph Street lobby.
All self-guided group tours must check in with security upon entry.