Free event Harold Washington Library.
Where: Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State Street,
19th Annual Tribute to Dancer Katherine Dunham
When: Friday, June 22, 2018 (12:15PM – 1:15PM)
The SpiritWing Dance Ensemble with Artistic Director Laurie Goux continues its annual tradition of celebrating the life and career of legendary dancer Katherine Dunham (1909-2006) on the 109th anniversary of her birth.
Nevertheless She Persisted: A Retrospective Performance of the Suffragist Movement
In collaboration with the League of Women Voters Chicago, Chicago Public Library will present “The Long Road to Victory: From Pedestal to Politics and Prison in the Battle for Woman Suffrage” starring and written by Annette Baldwin.
Through historical portrayals meet Quaker minister and anti-slavery advocate Lucretia Mott; women’s rights advocate Elizabeth Cady Stanton; mother of the suffrage movement, Susan B. Anthony; 20th century suffrage and women’s equality advocate, Alice Paul; and celebrate the ratification of the 19th Amendment with League of Women Voters founder Carrie Chapman Catt.
“The Long Road to Victory” is presented by historian, lecturer and actor Annette M. Baldwin, who has performed and lectured on the woman suffrage movement since 1995. The program will also feature a performance on piano of suffragist songs of the era by Spencer Jenich.
Radical Visibility Fashion Show Thursday, July 19, 2018 (6:00PM – 7:30PM)
Celebrate Disability Awareness Month with local fashion designer Sky Cubacub! Their fashion brand, Rebirth Garments, is designed to be accessible to people on the full spectrum of gender, size, and ability and actively challenges mainstream beauty standards. Join us for an exciting and fun showcase of their fashions as well as a Q&A session with the designer.
About the Chicago Public Library
1871: After the Chicago Fire, Thomas Hughes, a prominent member of British Parliament and children’s author who had visited Chicago in 1870 supports a plan to donate more than 8,000 books to Chicago. Chicago citizens petition for a free public library. Previous libraries were private membership-only organizations. The Children’s Library at Harold Washington Library Center is named after Thomas Hughes
1872: The Illinois Library Act of 1872, authorized cities to establish tax-supported libraries throughout the state. In April, the City Council passed an ordinance proclaiming the establishment of Chicago Public Library.
1873: The Chicago Public Library opens at the southeast corner of LaSalle and Adams streets in a circular water tank that survived the fire. The library moved several times during its first 24 years, including an 11-years on the fourth floor of City Hall.
1874: A delivery station system of outposts served Chicago’s neighborhoods mostly in stores. Patrons could call for a book, which was delivered by horse-drawn carriage to the outpost nearest their home. By the early 1900s deposit stations accounted for two-thirds of the circulation of the Chicago Public Library.
1897: October 11, the Central Library, on Michigan Avenue between Washington and Randolph streets, opens in what is now the Chicago Cultural Center. The building cost about $2 million, was designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge. The building was designed to be practically incombustible. Preston Bradley Hall, contains a dome and hanging lamps by Tiffany Glass.
1904: Isabella N. Blackstone donates funds to construct the first branch library, located in the Hyde Park and Kenwood neighborhoods. The library was modeled after the famous Erechtheion on the Acropolis in Athens, Greece.
1916: Chief Librarian Henry E. Legler presented a library plan calling for an network of neighborhood library locations to bring library service within the walking distance for every person in Chicago. The plan called for several regional libraries with more comprehensive collections. The first regional library, the Henry E. Legler Regional Library, opened in 1920 in West Garfield Park.
1918: Carl B. Roden, who began work as a library page in 1886, was appointed chief librarian. Over 32 years (1918-1950) he increased staff, holdings, circulation and total expenditures exponentially. The Carl B. Roden Branch in the Norwood Park neighborhood, where he resided, is named in his honor.
1960s: CPL added a significant number of neighborhood branch libraries, via new construction or leasing storefronts or reading rooms. By 1985, there were 76 branches.
1991: The new main library the Harold Washington Library Center opened October 7.
1995: Chicago Public Library established its website.
1996: A three-year, $65 million capital improvement plan begins building or renovating 52 neighborhood libraries.
2000: $44 million in neighborhood library construction begins.