Free events at 1871
Where: 1871, 222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 1212
The 1871 incubator offers free events monthly.
Dynamic Talks: Chicago
Dynamic Talks is an ongoing meetup series featuring technical talks from some of the leading experts in tech in major cities around the US.
When: Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM RSVP
1871 is a not-for-profit incubator and co-working space for tech entrepreneurs that opened in 2012. 1871 offers cheap and flexible space for startups that couldn’t afford offices in River North. Having 350 plus tech start ups located in one place increases synergies and leads to greater success. 1871 occupies 115,000 square feet in the Merchandise Mart and is funded by the State of Illinois.
About the Merchandise Mart
- The Merchandise Mart was developed by Marshall Field & Co. to consolidate Field’s wholesale activities that were scattered about the city in 13 different warehouses.
- Designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst and White.
- Opened on Monday, May 5, 1930.
- The building is 4.2 million gross square feet, spans two city blocks and rises 25 stories.
- The building suffered financially during the depression and was converted into government offices during World War II
- It was purchased by Joseph P. Kennedy in 1945 $12.5 million. In 1998 the Kennedy family sold it, the Apparel Center adjacent to the Mart and two other properties in Washington DC for $625 million in cash, stock and debt.