Free fireworks New Years Eve Navy Pier.
When: December 31, 2018, (January 1, 2019) 12:00AM-12:15AM
Where: Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand Avenue, 312-595-5155. For updates throughout the day on New Year’s Eve, follow Navy Pier on Twitter at @NavyPier.
Enjoy a special New Year’s Eve fireworks show over Lake Michigan! Navy Pier’s New Year’s Eve Fireworks Show presented by Miller Lite takes place on Monday, December 31! This 15-minute show will begin promptly at 12am.
I have never gone near Navy Pier on New Year’s Eve but I would assume that it will be a madhouse. Arrive early because they will close the gates when they reach crowd capacity. Bring as little as possible because there will be multiple security checkpoints and be prepared for pickpockets. Don’t linger afterwards or stagger around the neighborhood, including on the Lakefront Trail, because you will be mugged or worse. If you must walk afterwards stay with the crowd and then get an Uber or taxi once you hit Fairbanks. Getting a taxi will probably be impossible and Uber will be in ultra-surge pricing. Read the Navy Pier Guest Guidelines below.
Free Navy Pier Trolley
Navy Pier will be operating their free trolley from Grand Plaza Park 540 N. State to Navy Pier: Board the Navy Pier Trolley from the west side of State Street between Grand and Illinois or on Illinois just east of State. The trolley runs from 10 a.m. – 2 a.m. This trolley will be jammed. In summer it is not air conditioned. It may not be heated either. Leave extra time because it may require waiting for several trolleys to actually get on board.
Take the CTA
I would recommend taking public transit to and from the Pier. CTA Route numbers 29, 65, 66, 124 all go to Navy Pier. All CTA bus and rail service will operate on a Sunday schedule on Tuesday, January 1. The CTA is free from 10 p.m. December 31 to 4 a.m. on January 1, 2019. Also, CTA will be providing extra service for the Navy Pier Fireworks event.
Navy Pier Operating Hours Monday, December 31, 2018
Navy Pier Hours on New Year’s Eve: 10 a.m. – 12 a.m.
Fifth Third Bank Winter WonderFest Hours: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks presented by Miller Lite at 12 a.m.
GUEST GUIDELINES AND CODE OF CONDUCT
In addition to the Navy Pier Code of Conduct, for the comfort and safety of all our guests, it is very important to also note and adhere to the following guidelines and policies:
- SECUITY CHECKPOINTS: Guests must pass through a special security checkpoint before being allowed entry to Navy Pier. Multiple inspection points will be located throughout Navy Pier.
- ADMISSION TO FIFTH THIRD BANK WINTER WONDERFEST: Guests 18 years and older must present a valid driver’s license, state ID or Military ID with their paid ticket to enter Fifth Third Bank Winter WonderFest. Any guest under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- POLICY ON BAGS / BACKPACKS / ETC.: Backpacks and any other larger bags of any kind are highly discouraged. ALL bags are subject to inspection.
- PROHIBITED ITEMS / ACTIVITIES: Coolers, bikes, skateboards, rollerblades and skate shoes, and weapons of any kind are not allowed on Navy Pier. As always, NO outside alcohol may be brought to Navy Pier. The preceding prohibitions are in effect year-round, including New Year’s Eve.
- PETS / ANIMALS: Only official service animals are allowed on Navy Pier. NO pets or other animals are permitted on Navy Pier on New Year’s Eve.
- TAXIS/HIRED CAR DROP OFF: Those with reservations to the Chicago Resolution Gala in the Aon Grand Ballroom should direct their driver to entrance 2 at Navy Pier. All other NYE parties (Crystal Gardens NYE and Boat Cruises) should be direct their driver to entrance 1.
- NO RE-ENTRY IF GATES ARE CLOSED: Upon closure due to crowd capacity, re-entry into Navy Pier is not permitted. If you leave Navy Pier property before the gates are closed, you are not guaranteed return access unless you have a ticket or official reservation. It is highly recommended that all parties remain together.