Free kids events Harold Washington Library
Where: Harold Washington Library Center, Thomas Hughes Children’s Library, 400 S. State Street,
When: Subject to change and cancellation. Call first! Find all events here.
Click on “Events”, then filter for “Harold Washington Library Center”, then go to “Audiences” and select the group for your child’s/children’s age.
About Thomas Hughes Children’s Library
The 24,620-square-foot Thomas Hughes Children’s Library was remodeled and reopened in July 2017 as an active learning center. The newly remodeled Thomas Hughes Children’s Library, offers customized learning experiences for early learners, elementary learners and tweens, is on the 2nd floor of Harold Washington Library Center. The children’s library features materials, computers, events and much more for kids through eighth grade.
Thomas Hughes Children’s Library serves different age groups through “neighborhoods:”
- Early Learner Neighborhood: Kids under 5 learn through play with our interactive puppet stage, baby garden and story nook.
- Elementary Learner Neighborhood: School-age kids put their curiosity to work exploring STEAM-based activities.
- Tween Neighborhood: Tweens learn in our digital media space, which incorporate laptops, digital cameras, keyboards and blue screen and virtual reality tools.
Additional features include:
- Computers for kids through eighth grade
- A Teacher in the Library during the school year
- A self-checkout machine