The Chicago Greeter program is a volunteer only group of Chicago residents who provide free “visits” for tourists visiting Chicago.
“Explore Chicago with a friendly, knowledgeable local as your guide. This free service matches visitors with enthusiastic, city-wise volunteers for 2-4 hour guided visits of Chicago.
Let a friendly, knowledgeable local give you an insider’s orientation to Chicago. Register at least 10 business days in advance for a free 2-4 hour guided visit of Chicago.”
Greeter visits are customized based on your choice of neighborhoods, language and interests. We have over 200 enthusiastic volunteers waiting to share their expertise and passion about the city with you.
- Chicago Greeter visits are free and can accommodate up to 6 guests;
- Greeter visits are can be customized for you and your group;
- Greeter visits are offered in over a dozen languages;
- Greeter visits combine walking, buses and trains, and are the perfect orientation to Chicago’s safe and efficient public transit system;
- Choose to visit one of over 25 diverse neighborhoods, each with its own unique character and distinct culture, history and flavor;
- Choose to explore one of over 40 special interests, including art and architecture, food, local history, family-friendly destinations, Gay Chicago and Ethnic Chicago.
Greeter visits are fun, informal, and definitely not what you’d find in your average guidebook.
If you are visiting in less than 10 days or would like a tour at the last minute visit one of two Instagreeter locations in the Chicago Loop:
- Loop InstaGreeter, available year round. Friday, Saturday 10-3pm and Sunday 11-2pm, walks leave on the half hour . Located in the Chicago Cultural Center’s Visitor Center, 77 E. Randolph, Chicago, IL. An InstaGreeter will take you on a free hour-long guided walk of Downtown. Registration is not required.
- Millennium Park Greeter free guided walks of Millennium Park (May 22-Oct 12, 2015) daily at 11:30am and 1:00pm for up to 10 people. The walks are first come first served and begin in the Visitor Center located in the Chicago Cultural Center, 77 E. Randolph.
- Uptown InstaGreeter free guided walks of the Uptown neighborhood (April 11- Oct. 10th, 2015) second Saturday of the month, walks leave at 2pm, 3pm and 4pm. Leaving from Shake, Rattle and Read 4812 N. Broadway.
If you are enthusiastic about our city and enjoy people you may want to consider volunteering to become a greeter. You can apply here.