How to Access free magazines on the CPL website
The Chicago Public Library is a great free resource. Here’s how to get free access to hundreds of magazines from The Advocate to Working Mother. Save money and trees by reading them on your Kindle or ipad. You can also read them on your laptop or desktop.
First we’ll get access to Consumer Reports and learn how to search within it. Then we’ll go to other (as the library calls it) “Magazine & Journal”.
1. Login into your library account at chipublib.org.
2. Go to “Browse” and then “Online Resources.”
3. Scroll Down “By Format” and then “Magazine & Journal”.
4. Scroll down to Consumer Reports.
5. “Search within this publication”. If you get an error screen just try reloading the page.
6. Type in your search term. In this case we’ll look at “Mattresses”.
The magazine will stay on your reading device until you log out. You don’t have to return it.
7. Click on the article to read.
To find all other Magazines & Journals
Steps 1-3: Follow Steps 1-3 as above.
4. Instead of scrolling down to “Consumer Reports” stop at “RBDigital Magazines”
5. Login to your RBDigital Magazines account or set one up.
6. There are very limited filters so you have to either scroll through to a magazine you want to read or you can search for magazines by name in the search box on the top right corner. When you find what you want click on “Check out”.
7. You will get a dialog box asking either “Keep browsing” of “Read now.”
8. You may want to get the app so you can read the magazines you checked out on your phone. i click on Read. I don’t download.