How to save money at Target. I follow a procedure, outlined below, so I never pay full price at Target.
Get the Target app
The Target app has the weekly ad, the ability to shop online and Target Cartwheel.
Check the sale ad each week
I generally buy some on sale produce there each week. Those prices aren’t in the app but they are in the sale ad online which I get emailed every Sunday.
Check online prices and get a price match at the register
Whenever I’m going to Target I select my store in the app and add all the items I plan to buy to my cart. The app tells you what aisle items are located in and it’s usually accurate. If something showed in stock on the app but there are none on the shelf go to customer service and show them the item and they will pull it from stock and bring it out to the customer service desk.
Back to prices – In-store I compare prices with the app and guess what? The online prices are always lower! At the register I ask for a price match for every item and show them the item in my Target cart in the app. Target always matches their online prices in-store. Here is Target’s price matching policy.
Check Target Cartwheel for deals
Sign up for Ibotta
Buy discount gift cards once a year
This post explains how one time a year Target sells their own gift cards at a 10% discount. I load the gift card into the Target app. To make a purchase, in-store, you click on “Wallet”, “Edit Wallet” and click on gift card. It will have a green box on it after you click on it. Then “Save”. You are ready to scan your bar code to pay in-store. If you shop online the card is already in your account. With gift cards you are getting 10% off the merchandise and sales tax.
Get the Target Red Card
I don’t have the Target credit card. I fund all my spending with discounted gift cards because it’s the better deal. However if you don’t like dealing with gift cards or are a huge Target shopper then you can get 5% off most merchandise (no discount on sales tax) with the Red Card. Apply here.
Procedure for saving money at Target in-store
- Check the Target sale ad for items you need. Check your price book to confirm the sale price is good (#24 in this post). The sale ad comes out on Sunday. Add items to your Target cart on your phone so you can do a price match in-store..
- Check Target Cartwheel for discounts on items you need. Add offers to your Cartwheel list.
- Check Ibotta for items you need with rebate offers. Sometimes Ibotta has deals on items that are on sale at Target.
- Add any items you find in Ibotta to your Target cart.
- Check for coupons here.
- At the register ask for your price match, scan your Cartwheel (in your wallet on the Target app) and hand over any coupons.
- After paying step aside to an unused register and scan in your receipt to Ibotta.
- Enjoy your super savings!
Only buy stuff you need
If you are already fully stocked (no room for anything else) and you see a great price I don’t advocate making purchases. Clearly this always applies with perishable items but even with paper or canned goods if you don’t have anywhere to store it you don’t need any more. Things will always go on sale again.