Near North Library Free movie screening.
Where: Near North Library: 310 W. Division Street,
Film Screening: The War of the Worlds (1953) Saturday, November 10, 2018 (2:00PM – 3:30PM)
A Martian spacecraft lands near the small southern California city of Linda Rosa. Disaster ensues. ©Paramount Pictures Rated G. 85 minutes.
Film Screening: Book Club Saturday, November 17, 2018 (2:00PM – 3:45PM)
Four lifelong friends’ lives are turned upside down when their book club attempts to shake things up by tackling the infamous Fifty Shades of Grey. From discovering new romance to rekindling old flames, they inspire each other to make their next chapter the best chapter. © Paramount Pictures – 104 minutes – Rated PG-13
Film Screening: Won’t You Be My Neighbor? (2018) Saturday, November 24, 2018 (2:00PM – 3:30PM)
This documentary paints a portrait of the life and work of children’s entertainer Fred Rogers, star of “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.” A former minister, Mister Rogers creatively communicated themes of empathy and acceptance. © Focus Features – 94 minutes – Rated PG-13
Film Screening: Blade Runner 2049 (2017) Saturday, December 8, 2018 (2:00PM – 4:30PM)
In 2049 L.A., a cop known as K hunts down android laborers who have gone rogue. But when he uncovers a shocking conspiracy involving the robots, K searches for the one person who might have answers: a law-enforcement agent who once had his job. ©Warner Bros. Rated R. 163 minutes.
About the Near North Library
- Near North Branch was dedicated August 6, 1997, replacing a temporary reading room in Seward Park.
- Near North Branch originally opened October 12, 1972 in two combined apartments at 1157 N. Cleveland Avenue as a study center for residents of theCabrini Green Housing Projects.
- a painting entitled “Two Children: Boy and Girl” by William Gettings
- Near North Branch also features artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program:
- a mixed media collage entitled “Scott Street at Cabrini Green” by Mat Barber Kennedy
- a series of paintings entitled “Illinois Writers” by Steve Musgrave
- a painting entitled “Key Bearer U” by Jane Williams Ferris