Near North Library Free movie screening.
Where: Near North Library: 310 W. Division Street,
Film Screening: Higher Ground Saturday, February 17, 2018 (2:00PM – 4:00PM)
Presenting the gospel of Jesus Christ through cutting-edge music and images has historically put this community on the “outs” with traditionalists in the Church, yet it has catapulted this music to the forefront of the mainstream. Come inside and embrace intriguing and very candid stories from some of gospel’s most legendary and accomplished artists. Artists include: Donnie McClurkin, Mary Mary, Kirk Franklin, Dr. Bobby Jones, Karen Clark Sheard, Vickie Winans, T-Bone, Yolanda Adams, Edwin Hawkins.
Film Screening: Marshall (2017) Saturday, February 24, 2018 (2:00PM – 4:00PM)
About a young Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Supreme Court Justice, as he battles through one of his career defining cases. In 1940 Connecticut, he defends a black chauffeur accused of rape.
Film Screening: Dunkirk Saturday, March 31, 2018 (2:00PM – 3:45PM
In May 1940, Germany advanced into France, trapping Allied troops on the beaches of Dunkirk. Under air and ground cover from British and French forces, troops were slowly and methodically evacuated from the beach using every serviceable naval and civilian vessel that could be found.
Film Screening: Coal Miner’s Daughter Saturday, March 24, 2018 (2:00PM – 4:00PM)
Coal Miner’s Daughter is the story of Loretta Lynn, who rose from the poverty-stricken Appalachian area to become one of the biggest country singers of all time.
Film Screening: Bound For Glory Saturday, April 14, 2018 (2:00PM – 4:00PM)
In Bound for Glory we ramble with Woody Guthrie, America’s great folk balladeer and poet, on his travels across America and thrill as his buoyant spirit battles the social injustice surrounding him with quiet strength and soul-rousing music.
About the Near North Library
- Near North Branch was dedicated August 6, 1997, replacing a temporary reading room in Seward Park.
- Near North Branch originally opened October 12, 1972 in two combined apartments at 1157 N. Cleveland Avenue as a study center for residents of theCabrini Green Housing Projects.
- a painting entitled “Two Children: Boy and Girl” by William Gettings
- Near North Branch also features artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program:
- a mixed media collage entitled “Scott Street at Cabrini Green” by Mat Barber Kennedy
- a series of paintings entitled “Illinois Writers” by Steve Musgrave
- a painting entitled “Key Bearer U” by Jane Williams Ferris