Save Money with Target Cartwheel. I’m not much of a Target shopper. About a year ago I started using the Target Cartwheel app and I find it an easy way to save money. Every week I look through Cartwheel and if I see a deal(s) and I’m walking by I pop in and shop. I always pay with a 10% off Target gift card which they sell once a year after Thanksgiving.
What is Target Cartwheel
Target Cartwheel is a coupon app from Target. You can access the coupons, called “offers” that can be applied to in-store purchases only.
How to access
Cartwheel is now a part of the main Target mobile app. When you open the Target app, you’ll see “Cartwheel.” Within cartwheel I shop by category so I don’t have to search through a ton of junk I would never buy.
Add offers to your Cartwheel
You can add and remove offers as often as you like. You’ll know when an offer is on your Cartwheel when a check mark appears next to it. My experience is that offers are added on Thursdays and Sundays. Offers expire and will automatically be removed from your account.
How to redeem your offers
When you’re ready to make purchases at a Target store you need to either present a print out of the bar code for your account from the website or use your smart phone to scan the bar code at the register to get your Cartwheel discounts. To print the bar code got to “Checkout.” The bar code doesn’t change so you can use the same copy every time you’re heading to Target.
You can redeem all Cartwheel offers on your list at the time of your transaction. You may also be able to use paper manufacturer coupons. More on that later.
Load offers before you get to the store
When you log in to Cartwheel will see “Offers for you.” You can also browse by the “Categories” tab on the website or app. You can filter further, for example, if you select “Food” you can narrow it down further to “Produce.”
Load offers in store
You can also load offers in-store. You’ll need to log in to Target’s free wifi and as you shop you can scan items in the app and see if there are any offers.
How often can you use Cartwheel
You can use Cartwheel up to six times a day. (Maybe people go to multiple stores when one doesn’t have something they are looking for?). That said you can only apply a single Cartwheel offer up to four times per transaction. So if you’re buying five of something you will only get the Cartwheel discount on four items. You can split the purchase and buy additional items in a second transaction. If you plan on buying more than one of an item you might want to read the terms and conditions on the coupon before you load up your cart.
Cartwheel allows stacking
Stacking is when you apply multiple discounts to one item. You can use one Target coupon, one Cartwheel offer and one manufacturer’s coupon per item you purchase. Here’s how Target applies discounts:
- Target coupons from Cartwheel are applied first. Generally those are the cents or dollars off offers.
- Cartwheel offers are applied next. These are generally the percentage off offers.
- Manufacturer coupons are applied next. You can apply one manufacturer coupon, paper or digital, per product. Cartwheel will not allow you to apply coupons that reduce the cost of an item to below zero.
- If you are using an offer that applies to the whole purchase, a threshold offer, such as “Buy $50 in groceries get $10 bonus gift card”) it applies after all other discounts and coupons have been applied.
- If you have one, The Target Red card 5% discount is applied last.
Target’s full coupon policy here.
- Create a target.com account.
- Log in to Target app and go to Cartwheel and add offers to your account. Check often deals may come and go.
- Bring your smart phone or paper bar code to the store.
- When making your purchase scan Cartwheel first, then any paper coupons, any additional Cartwheel discounts and pay with a discount gift card or the Target Red Card.
- Enjoy your savings!