Where to drink it up on St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago. *** Updated March 15 Changes in RED below. I should mention that people start queuing up early at most bars. Also a few bars are a part of Spring Rewards. You may be able to save some money. Use my link and get $50 to spend. Read more here.***
The Riverwalk will not be open until 11AM on March 16 but you can watch from upper Wacker Drive on the south side of the river.
Public access after 11 a.m. will be at the following locations:
- East Side of State Street
Several safety measures are in effect for the safety of everyone entering the Riverwalk:
- Event security will be searching all bags and limiting all outside beverages to 8oz upon entry.
- Alcoholic beverages cannot be brought inside.
- All the underbridge connections will be closed to the public throughout the day. Those wishing to move between sections of the Riverwalk must exit and re-enter at another entry point.
This years parade in on Saturday March 16. As always it will be an unholy (no pun intended) cataclysm of morning, day and up all night, no sleeping drinking extravaganza, world of insanity out there. Read Alderman Reilly’s succinct and controversial summary of events in 2018. So here’s where to join in! FYI there are no deals on St. Patrick’s Day.
I can’t possibly review every bar so here’s a selection that I would consider going to (and have been to) if I weren’t going to be locked inside most of parade day. Slainte! 2019 St. Partrick’s Day events March in the Downtown Chicago St. Patrick’s Day parade.
Chicago River adjacent or within staggering distance
- Beacon Tavern, 405 North Wabash Ave., (312) 955-4226. On the river behind the Wrigley Building. Opening at 1:30PM March 16.
- Chicago Brewhouse, Chicago Riverwalk Between State and Wabash. I saw a tent while walking by today. Open 11am-5pm March 16.
- City Winery, 11 West Riverwalk South (btw State and Dearborn), (312) 229-5593. Tickets for party until 11AM sold out. After 11AM-5PM open to the public and no cover charge.
- Emerald Loop, 216 N. Wabash, (312) 263-0200. Opens 8:00AM March 16. $10 cover. Across the street from the river.
- Lizzie McNeill’s, 400 N McClurg Ct, (312) 467-1992, Open March 16 7AM. On the River. Arrive early. Beer tent, Shannon Rovers, more. $10 cover. Member of Spring Reward use my link and get $50 to spend.
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood & Steaks, One E. Wacker Dr. 312.923.7226 Open March 16 8AM. $5 cover. Across from River at State Street. There were tents set up on Friday.
- Morton’s, 65 E. Wacker Place (312) 201-0410, Open March 16 9:00AM Two blocks south of river.
- Sweetwater Tavern, 225 N Michigan Ave., (312) 698-7111, Open March 16 9AM. Two blocks south of river. Member of Spring Reward use my link and get $50 to spend.
- Tiny Tapp, 55 E. Riverwalk between Dearborn and Clark, Opens March 16 at 11AM-5PM
Parade adjacent or within staggering distance
***Update March 15, 2019 PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE CHICAGO POLICE & PARADE ORGANIZERS PLAN A STEPPED UP SECURITY PROCESS ON PARADE DAY TO ENSURE A SAFE AND FAMILY- FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT.
ENTRY TO THE PARADE ROUTE OPENS AT 9AM AND WILL ONLY BE PERMITTED AT JACKSON Drive AND IDA B. WELLS (formerly Congress Blvd.)
SECURITY CHECKPOINTS WILL BE SET UP FOR ENTRY TO THE PARADE ROUTE – SECURITY WILL BE CHECKING ALL BAGS AND PURSES. COOLERS, ALCOHOL OR OPEN BEVERAGES WILL NOT BE ALLOWED INTO OR ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE.***
- Exchequer, 226 S Wabash Ave, (312) 939-5633 Located just north of Jackson on Wabash. Stagger three blocks east on Jackson to parade. Opening March 16 10:00AM.
- The Gage 24 S. Michigan, (312) 372-4243. Located at Michigan and Monroe. Located three blocks from parade end. Opening March 16 at 9:00AM.
- Kitty O’Sheas, Hilton Chicago, 720 S Michigan Ave, (312) 922-4400. Staggering distance of the parade start. Opens March 16 8:00AM.
- Miller’s Pub, 134 S Wabash Ave., (312) 263-4988 Located between Monroe and Adams. Opens March 16 10:00AM.
- Corcorans Grill & Pub, 1615 N. Wells St, (312) 440-0885 March 16 open at 8:00AM. Free breakfast. Irish music and dancers, bagpipers, green beer.
- Declan’s Irish Pub, 1240 N Wells St, (312) 642-5522, Open March 16 8AM.
- Old Town Pour House, 1419 N. Wells St., (312) 477-2800. Open March 16 8AM
$40 Kegs and Eggs until 11AM sold out. 11AM open to all.
- Brehon Pub, 731 N Wells St, (312) 642-1071, Open March 16 9:00AM.
- Fado Irish Pub Chicago, 100 W Grand Ave, (312) 836-0066 March 16 Doors open at 7:15 am and cover charge starts $10.
- Harry Caray’s, 33 W. Kinzie, (312) 828-0966. Opens March 16 9AM. They were already serving green beer at lunch March 15.
- Kerryman, 661 N Clark St, (312) 335-8121, Open March 16 8AM. Tables $30-$320 sold out. $10 cover for no tables at door.
- O’Callaghan’s, 29 W Hubbard St, (312) 527-1180, Open March 16 9AM.
- D4 Irish Pub & Cafe, 345 E Ohio St, (312) 624-8385, Open March 16 8AM $10 cover
includes T shirt and swag.