Where to drink on St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago
2/26/2020: I see that many people are already looking at this post.This years St. Patrick’s Day Parade is on Saturday, March 14, 2020. The following information is from 2019. I email or call all of these bars but they won’t have the info now. Since it’s a highly profitable holiday I would expect all of the hours to be the same. The cover charges may increase.
I should also mention that people start queuing up early at most bars. The Riverwalk will not be open until 11AM on March 14 but you can watch from upper Wacker Drive on the south side of the river. Public access after 11 a.m. will be at the following locations:
- East Side of State Street
Several safety measures are in effect for the safety of everyone entering the Riverwalk:
- Event security will be searching all bags and limiting all outside beverages to 8oz upon entry.
- Alcoholic beverages cannot be brought inside.
- All the underbridge connections will be closed to the public throughout the day. Those wishing to move between sections of the Riverwalk must exit and re-enter at another entry point.
Where to drink on St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago
This years parade in on Saturday March 14, 2020. As always it will be an unholy (no pun intended) cataclysm of morning, day and up all night, no sleeping drinking extravaganza, world of insanity out there. Read Alderman Reilly’s succinct and controversial summary of events in 2018. So here’s where to join in! FYI there are no deals on St. Patrick’s Day.
I can’t possibly review every bar so here’s a selection that I would consider going to (and have been to) if I weren’t going to be locked inside most of parade day. Slainte! 2020 St. Partrick’s Day events March in the Downtown Chicago St. Patrick’s Day parade.
Where to drink on St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago/Chicago River adjacent or within staggering distance (Confirmed=2020 info)
- Beacon Tavern, 405 North Wabash Ave., (312) 955-4226. On the river behind the Wrigley Building. Opening at 1:30PM March 14.
- Chicago Brewhouse, Chicago Riverwalk Between State and Wabash. Open 11am-5pm March 14. Confirmed.
- City Winery, 11 West Riverwalk South (btw State and Dearborn), (312) 229-5593. Tickets for party until 11AM sold out. After 11AM-5PM open to the public and no cover charge. Confirmed
- Emerald Loop, 216 N. Wabash, (312) 263-0200. Opens 9:00AM March 14. $10 cover. Across the street from the river. Confirmed.
- Lizzie McNeill’s, 400 N McClurg Ct, (312) 467-1992, Open March 14 7AM. On the River. Arrive early. Beer tent, Shannon Rovers, more. $10 cover. Confirming cover charge.
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood & Steaks, One E. Wacker Dr. 312.923.7226 Open March 14 8AM. $5 cover. Across from River at State Street. There were tents set up last year.
- Morton’s, 65 E. Wacker Place (312) 201-0410, Open March 14 9:00AM Two blocks south of river. Confirmed
- Sheraton Grand Chicago, 301 East North Water Street.. Open March 14 8AM. On north side of River east of Columbus Bridge. Confirmed
- Sweetwater Tavern, 225 N Michigan Ave., (312) 698-7111, Open March 14 8AM. Two blocks south of river. Confirmed
- Tiny Tapp, 55 E. Riverwalk between Dearborn and Clark, Opens March 14 at 11AM-5PM
Where to drink on St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago Parade adjacent or within staggering distance
***Entry to the parade route opens at 9AM and will only be permitted at Jackson Avenue and Ida B. Wells (formerly Congress Blvd.). Security checkpoints will be set up for entry to the parade route. Security will be checking all bags and purses.
Coolers, alcohol or open beverages and personal water bottles will not be allowed into or along the parade route. ***
- Exchequer, 226 S Wabash Ave, (312) 939-5633 Located just north of Jackson on Wabash. Stagger three blocks east on Jackson to parade. Opening March 14 10:00AM.
- The Gage 24 S. Michigan, (312) 372-4243. Located at Michigan and Monroe. Located three blocks from parade end. Opening March 14 at 10:00AM. Confirmed
- Kitty O’Sheas, Hilton Chicago, 720 S Michigan Ave, (312) 922-4400. Staggering distance of the parade start. Opens March 14 8:00AM.
- Miller’s Pub, 134 S Wabash Ave., (312) 263-4988 Located between Monroe and Adams. Opens March 14 10:00AM. Confirmed
- Corcorans Grill & Pub, 1615 N. Wells St, (312) 440-0885 March 14 open at 8:00AM. Free breakfast. Irish music and dancers, bagpipers, green beer. Confirmed
- Declan’s Irish Pub, 1240 N Wells St, (312) 642-5522, Open March 14 8AM. Confirmed
- Old Town Pour House, 1419 N. Wells St., (312) 477-2800. Open March 14 8AM
$40 Kegs and Eggs until 11AM sold out. 11AM open to all.
- Brehon Pub, 731 N Wells St, (312) 642-1071, Open March 14 9:00AM.
- Fado Irish Pub Chicago, 100 W Grand Ave, (312) 836-0066 March 14 Doors open at 7:30 am and cover charge starts $10.
- Harry Caray’s, 33 W. Kinzie, (312) 828-0966. Opens March 14 9AM. Confirmed
- Kerryman, 661 N Clark St, (312) 335-8121, Open March 14 9AM. Tables $30-$320 sold out. $10 cover for no tables at door. Confirmed
- O’Callaghan’s, 29 W Hubbard St, (312) 527-1180, Open March 14 9AM.
- D4 Irish Pub & Cafe, 345 E Ohio St, (312) 624-8385, Open March 14 8AM $10 cover.