Visit the Oak Park Conservatory. If you’re looking for somewhere new to explore that’s indoors consider taking a trip out to the Oak Park Conservatory. The Conservatory is now open with a maximum of 50 visitors at any time.
Where: Oak Park Conservatory, 615 Garfield St., Oak Park, IL (708) 725-2400. If you take the CTA Blue Line to the Oak Park stop walk back toward the East Avenue exit. The Conservatory is to the right of the exit. The Blue line travels through Austin and Garfield Park so be aware of your surroundings. Admission is free. Suggested donation $5.
Hours: Open Tuesday – Sunday: 10am-4pm. (Closed Mondays).
Thursday nights until 7pm during the spring and summer.
Open: School Holiday Mondays (Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day and Columbus Day.
Closed: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day (closes at 1pm Christmas Eve).
Things to do
- Tour the Display Rooms: Mediterranean, Tropical and Desert
- Herbert M. Rubinstein Memorial Garden: Garden features a bluestone patio area, wood pergola, water feature, plant wall, garden lighting and park benches.
- Elsie Jacobsen Discovery Garden: Conservatory visitors of all ages an opportunity to observe, touch and interact with nature in all seasons.
- Check out Exploration Station
the free children’s program runs September – May. Saturdays 10:30 am–12:30 pm, Sundays, 1:30 – 3:30 pm. Mondays of school holidays for Columbus Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents’ Day, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm. Docents help children and others learn through interactive displays and games in the showrooms. New topics every month. Free.2021 Doesn’t look like it’s happening this year.
- Take a Guided tours led by trained docents. Tours are $5 for adults, $3 for seniors and $2 for children under 12. The minimum fee for a group tour is $20. Educational tours are free for Oak Park district schools and $2 per child for all other schools. To schedule a tour, visit the Friends of Oak Park Conservatory website.
- Free virtual gardening lectures