The Art Tour focuses on the impressive collection of original artwork on display throughout the building.
Where: Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State Street, Grand Lobby Ground Level,
The tour is free. Registration required. To register, call (312) 747-4800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-ups will be accepted if space remains. Tours are limited to 15 people.
- The collection includes works of art by over 50 artists known both locally and internationally known.
- The collection contains works in almost every artistic medium and style.
- Many works recognize major art movements associated with Chicago and reflect the major art movements.
- May works address important architectural spaces in the building.
- Works from the collection are installed on every floor of the building.
- The collection memorializes the late Harold Washington.
- The collection celebrates Chicago’s rich cultural diversity.
- The City of Chicago’s Public Art Collection at the Harold Washington Library Center was funded through the City’s Percent-for-Art Program. The Percent-for-Art program allocates 1.33% of all public building project costs to the procurement of art.
- It is the single largest public art project in the City of Chicago’s history to date.