Ladder Up provides free electronic preparation and e-filing of tax returns for individuals, total income up to $30,000/year, and for households, total income up to $55,000/year.
This program operates on a first come, first served basis and new clients will not be accepted the last hour.
More Questions? Contact the Tax Assistance Program at (312) 409-4719 or e-mail TAP@goladderup.org
Mon-Thur 12 PM-7 PM (Jan 23-Apr 18)
Fri & Sat 10 AM-3 PM (Jan 27-Apr 15)
Closed Feb 13 & 20, Mar 6
Where: Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State St., 7th Floor, -747-4300
What to Bring
Please note: All sites operate on a first come, first served basis. Many sites will stop taking new clients well before the official closing time, so please arrive early.
- Social Security card (or ITIN card/letter) for yourself and all individuals that appear on your tax return
- Photo identification for yourself and your spouse (if you are filing a joint return)
- Birthdates for all individuals that appear on your tax return
Bank Account Information (if you use a bank account)
- Account number for your checking or savings account
- Routing number for your bank or credit union
Note: If you have a checkbook or a voided check, that information is sufficient for direct deposit of your tax refund (if you are eligible for a refund)
Income & Expense Documents
All income statements received for 2016
- Form W-2
- Form 1099-G
- Form 1099-R
- Unemployment statement
- Social Security benefits statement
- Bank statement showing interest earned
- Form 1099-MISC*
NOTE: If you are still waiting on missing income documents, please do not come to a Tax Assistance Program site until you have received all of your documents. You may need to contact your employer if you have not received your W-2 form by the end of January.
Expense information for 2016
- Mortgage interest statement (Form 1098)
- Second (or final) bill for property taxes paid in 2016
- Form 1098-T for college tuition expenses (or other documentation showing your expenses related to college if your college does not issue Form 1098-T)
- Job-related expenses (if you are a sole proprietor or self-employed)*
*Note: If you are a sole proprietor or self-employed, Ladder Up will only be able to prepare your return at specific site locations.
- Child care expenses (Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number of the caretaker is required)
- Your tax return from last year (if available)
Health insurance information
- Proof of health insurance coverage (i.e. Form 1095-A, Form 1095-B, or Form 1095-C) OR
- Certificate of Exemption