Free Young People’s Concerts Chicago Cultural Center
Where: Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St., 312-744-6630, Preston Bradley Hall, 3rd Floor South. Take the elevators at the Washington Street entrance.
When: Thursday, February 28, March 28, 2019 10:30am & 12pm
Kaia String Quartet Thursday, February 28
The Chicago-based quartet will focus on sharing the rich and diverse body of music from Latin America. Learn about music, culture and traditions as they visit different countries exploring music from respective regions. The wide variety of style and function will be discussed as well as instrumentation, composers and folk traditions.
Surabhi Ensemble Thursday, March 28
Surabhi Ensemble is a global music and dance collective representing different cultures including Indian raga, Arab Maqam music from North Africa, the Middle East as well as Spanish flamenco.
About the Chicago Cultural Center
The Chicago Cultural Center, opened in 1897, was the first permanent Chicago Public Library after the original library was lost in the Chicago fire in 1871. In addition to the library the building was also a Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (on the north side) dedicated to Northern soldiers who fought in the Civil War. All the Civil War artifacts once displayed here are now located at the Harold Washington Library. Here’s the buildings extensive history.
The City of Chicago refers to it as “a People’s Palace – a celebration of the arts, education, Chicago, and the world.”
There is also a free building tour showcasing the Greek-inspired (north side) and Roman-inspired (south side) architecture, two domes (one of which is the world’s largest Tiffany Dome) and ornate multi-colored mosaics, marble and decorative molding.
Public Group Tours:
- Tours are presented Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 1:15 pm.
- Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- The group will be limited to the first twenty people.
- To schedule tours for groups of ten or more at other times, contact Anna Marie Gazzi at 312.744.7917.
Private Group Tours:
- Trained docents will conduct free, prearranged private tours for adult groups on Mondays though Fridays, 9 am-3 pm.
- Private tours are not available during weekends.
- Private tours are designed for adults and teenagers 13 years and over.
- Group sizes are limited, call for details.
- Reservations must be made at least one week in advance of the scheduled date by calling 312.744.7917.
- Private tours begin at the Chicago Cultural Center Information Desk in the Randolph Street lobby.
- All self-guided group tours must check in with security upon entry.