Chicago Cultural Center Free Ongoing Exhibitions. Head over to the Chicago Cultural Center to check out FREE exhibitions and related events:
Where: Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St., 312-744-6630. Always call in advance for hours. Subject to change without notice.
Chicago Cultural Center Free Ongoing Exhibitions
View the Exhibitions page.
Luis A. Sahagun: Both Eagle and Serpent Michigan Avenue Galleries, 1st Floor East February 1–April 26, 2020
In Flux: Chicago Artists and Immigration Exhibit Hall, 4th Floor North February 15–May 10, 2020
NKAME: A Retrospective of Cuban Printmaker Balkis Ayón (1967–1999) Sidney R. Yates Gallery, 4th Floor North February 29–May 24, 2020
Jin Lee: Views & Scenes Chicago Rooms, 2nd Floor North June 8–August 2, 2020
Jeremiah Hulsebos-Spoffoard: League of Nations Chicago Rooms, 2nd Floor North September 5, 2020–January 5, 2021
Chicago Architecture Biennial Installations Various Locations Ongoing
StoryCorps, 1st Floor North, Ongoing
Chicago Greeter “Insta-Greeter” Visits, Fridays-Sundays, Visitor Information Center, 10am–3pm
Building Tours, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, meet at Randolph Lobby, 1:15pm
About the Chicago Cultural Center
The Chicago Cultural Center, opened in 1897, was the first permanent Chicago Public Library after the original library was lost in the Chicago fire in 1871. In addition to the library the building was also a Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (on the north side) dedicated to Northern soldiers who fought in the Civil War. Here’s the buildings extensive history.
The City of Chicago refers to it as “a People’s Palace – a celebration of the arts, education, Chicago, and the world.”
There is also a free building tour showcasing the Greek-inspired (north side) and Roman-inspired (south side) architecture, two domes (one of which is the world’s largest Tiffany Dome) and ornate multi-colored mosaics, marble and decorative molding.
Public Group Tours:
- Tours are presented Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 1:15pm and are 45-60 minutes long. Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- The group will be limited to the first twenty people.
- To schedule tours for groups of ten or more at other times, contact Anna Marie Gazzi at 312.744.7917.
Private Group Tours:
- Trained docents will conduct free, prearranged private tours for adult groups on Mondays though Fridays, 9 am-3 pm.
- Private tours are not available during weekends and are designed for adults and teenagers 13 years and over.
- Group sizes are limited, call for details. Reservations must be made at least one week in advance by calling 312.744.7917.
- Private tours begin at the Chicago Cultural Center Information Desk in the Randolph Street lobby.
All self-guided group tours must check in with security upon entry.