Chicago Cultural Center: Ongoing Exhibitions. Head over to the Chicago Cultural Center to check out FREE exhibitions and related events:
Where: Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St., 312-744-6630. Always call in advance for hours. Subject to change without notice.
Ongoing Programs and Exhibitions
View the Exhibitions page.
Cecil McDonald, Jr.: In the Company of Black Chicago Rooms, 2nd Floor North Through April 14, 2019
goat island archive – we have discovered the performance by making it Performance Space and Activations through June 23, 2019 Sidney R. Yates Gallery
Chicago! The Play, The Movies, The Musical…The Murders Randolph Lobby, 1st Floor North Through July 28, 2019
Bronzeville Echoes: Faces and Places of Chicago’s African American Music Garland Gallery, 1st Floor South through July 28, 2019
National Veterans Art Museum Triennial: On War & Survival Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago Rooms, 2nd Floor North Michigan Avenue Galleries, 1st Floor East May 2 – July 28, 2019
StoryCorps, 1st Floor North, Ongoing
Chicago Greeter “Insta-Greeter” Visits, Fridays-Sundays, Visitor Information Center, 10am–3pm
Building Tours, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, meet at Randolph Lobby, 1:15pm
About the Chicago Cultural Center
The Chicago Cultural Center, opened in 1897, was the first permanent Chicago Public Library after the original library was lost in the Chicago fire in 1871. In addition to the library the building was also a Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (on the north side) dedicated to Northern soldiers who fought in the Civil War. Here’s the buildings extensive history.
The City of Chicago refers to it as “a People’s Palace – a celebration of the arts, education, Chicago, and the world.”
There is also a free building tour showcasing the Greek-inspired (north side) and Roman-inspired (south side) architecture, two domes (one of which is the world’s largest Tiffany Dome) and ornate multi-colored mosaics, marble and decorative molding.
Public Group Tours:
- Tours are presented Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 1:15pm and are 45-60 minutes long. Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- Tours meet in the Randolph Street lobby.
- The group will be limited to the first twenty people.
- To schedule tours for groups of ten or more at other times, contact Anna Marie Gazzi at 312.744.7917.
Private Group Tours:
- Trained docents will conduct free, prearranged private tours for adult groups on Mondays though Fridays, 9 am-3 pm.
- Private tours are not available during weekends and are designed for adults and teenagers 13 years and over.
- Group sizes are limited, call for details. Reservations must be made at least one week in advance by calling 312.744.7917.
- Private tours begin at the Chicago Cultural Center Information Desk in the Randolph Street lobby.
All self-guided group tours must check in with security upon entry.