Downtown Chicago Dive Bars. I’m asked, a lot, where can you go to get a cheap drink downtown? Well that would be at one of our illustrious dive bars. Please don’t take offense. I have drank at all of these bars. These establishments serve their purpose in the affordable early morning, day and late night drinking landscape. There used to be more but many were mowed down and replaced by condo buildings etc. Some closed when rents got too high and were replaced by yogurt shops, cell phone stores etc.
- Billy Goat (original only not the “faux” Goats at Navy Pier etc.), Lower 430 N Michigan Ave, (312) 222-1525. Take the stairs down here. They remodeled so may not be so divvy. Haven’t been down there yet. Part of Spring Rewards. See below
- Cardoza’s Pub, 170 W Washington St, Basement (312) 236-1573. Closes around 7PM
- Exchequer, 226 S Wabash Ave. (312) 939-5633. I walked by the Exchequer and realized they were left off the list. Locals and college students booze it up here. Part of Spring Rewards. See below.
- Infield’s, Macy’s, 111 N. State, Basement/Pedway level. Closes around 8PM. Conveniently located in the Pedway to the Red and Blue Line trains.
- M Bar, Millennium Station, 151 N Michigan Ave C16, (312) 929-3080. Located in the train station under the Prudential Building in the Pedway around the corner from Macy’s.
- Monk’s Pub, 205 W Lake St, (312) 357-6665. Closes around 10PM.
Gold Coast/Michigan Avenue Adjacent
- The Lodge, 21 W Division St, (312) 642-4406. Located in the heart of the Viagra Triangle/Rush Street. Daily drink specials. Part of Spring Rewards. See below.
- Pippins Tavern, 806 N Rush St, (312) 787-5435. All day specials. Daily drink specials. Part of Spring Rewards. See below.
- Streeter’s Tavern, 50 E Chicago Ave, (312) 944-5206. Daily drink specials. Part of Spring Rewards. See below.
- The Boss Bar, 420 N. Clark, (312) 527-1203. Open until 5 AM Saturdays, other nights 4AM. Part of Spring Rewards. See below.
- Rossi’s Liquors, 412 N. State St, (312) 644-5775. (No website). CBS News story
- Shamrock Club, 210 W. Kinzie St, (312) 321-9314.
- Snickers, 448 N State St, (312) 527-0437.
Read all the details about Spring Rewards here. The key takeaway is you can use these 30%-50% off Spring Reward deals for drinking and not just eating.