Free events Glessner House. NOTE: This event is sponsored by Glessner House but takes place at Second Presbyterian Church.
In celebration of Black History Month, Glessner House will co-host author, speaker and educator Michelle Duster in a lecture at Second Presbyterian Church.
About Michelle Duster
Her writing includes nine books. She co-edited books plus wrote and edited two books that include the writings of her great-grandmother, Ida B. Wells – Ida In Her Own Words and Ida From Abroad. Her most recent book that she co-edited is Michelle Obama’s Impact on African American Women and Girls.
Michelle was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago. She earned degrees from Dartmouth College and The New School in New York City. She has received numerous awards. She currently teaches business writing at Columbia College Chicago and is working on several book projects that will completed within the next two years.
About Glessner House
A National Historic Landmark, Glessner House was designed by noted American architect Henry Hobson Richardson and completed in 1887.
A radical departure from traditional Victorian architecture, the structure served as an inspiration to the young Frank Lloyd Wright and helped redefine domestic architecture.
Preserving an Architectural Treasure
- On December 1, 1924, the Glessners and the Chicago Chapter of the American Institute of Architects sign a deed of gift that would give the house to the CCAIA upon the Glessners’ deaths, provided that it be used “solely for the purposes of architecture and the allied arts and sciences”
- Mrs. Glessner died in 1932, Mr. Glessner in 1936.
- The high costs of repairs in Depression-era Chicago led the CCAIA to return the house to the Glessners’ family in 1937.
- The heirs deeded the house to the Armour Institute (now the Illinois Institute of Technology), and in 1946, Lithographic Technical Foundation leased the house and converted it, leaving the original floor plan intact.
- The graphic design company bought the house in 1958 and relocated in 1965, trying to sell the house for $70,000.
- In 1960, the Glessner House was named an honorary Chicago landmark.
- A handful of local architects join together in 1966 to form the Chicago School of Architecture Foundation in order to save Glessner House.
- In 1970, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and renamed a Chicago landmark.
- In 1972, the Prairie Avenue Historic District, which includes the Glessner House, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- In 1976, the Glessner House was named a National Historic Landmark.
- The Chicago School of Architecture Foundation eventually bought it for $35,000 in 1966, and spun off Glessner House in 1994.
Guided tours of Glessner House
Tour Times: Wednesday through Sunday, Tours at 11:30am, 1:00pm, and 2:30pm. Wednesdays: Admission is free.
Guided tours are limited to 15 people per tour on a first-come, first-served, walk-in basis. Advance reservations are not accepted. All tours begin at our Visitor’s Center located inside the main Prairie Avenue entrance.