Free motorcycle classes Harper College.
If you’re considering learning to ride, all Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Motorcycle Safety Training Courses for Cook County and Northern Illinois are administered by Harper College.
04/23/2021 Update: Spring semester courses are full. Additional course sections will be opened for registration on or after May 3, 2021 and at later dates. Check for updates at Motorcycle Safety Training website.
They put on free rider education courses at 15 locations throughout Northern Illinois. Locations, dates, and courses offered vary, go to the Motorcycle Safety Training website for more information. There is no charge for any of the courses, however, a refundable $20 deposit is collected at registration.
Free motorcycle classes Harper College
Courses are held at more than fifteen sites across Chicago and Northern Illinois. Find the most convenient training sites for you on the map and follow the enrollment instructions. Each training site offers the Basic Rider Course. In addition, some sites offer Intermediate, Advanced, and 3-Wheel courses.
- You must be at least 16 years of age at the time of your first course session.
- You must be an Illinois resident.
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- As of July 30, 2018, all motorcycle enrollments and fee payments are done online.
- To enroll, you will be required to create an account on this website and pay the $20 registration fee with a credit/debit card.
- If no courses are currently available, check back for updates.
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN FOR THE ENTIRE TRAINING SEASON AT THE FOLLOWING TRAINING SITES:
- CHICAGO HEIGHTS
- CHICAGO NORTH
- CHICAGO SOUTH
- LAKE VILLA
- OAK FOREST
- PROSPECT HEIGHTS
- ROCKFORD NORTH
- ROCKFORD SOUTH
- Get ready: Select and left-click a location from the list under Courses. You will see which courses are offered at that site. Click on the course you want.
- Get set: Review the dates of the sections that are available. Select a section. If no sections are currently available, check back later for updates or request to be notified when the next section opens. To request a notification, create an account providing your email address.
- Go: Follow the steps to create an account, enroll, and pay the registration fee with your credit/debit card. That’s it!
You will receive a receipt and acknowledgment of your enrollment at the email you provide when creating your account.
We take walk-ins in all course types, with the exception of any eCourse classes. The process works as follows:
- Show up to the classroom prior to the start time for the class you want to attend.
- Talk with the instructor and you will be given a numbered ticket.
- At the appointed start time roll call will be taken and any vacant seats will be filled via a lottery process.
- Illinois residency is required. You must be an Illinois resident with a permanent address in Illinois to register for these courses.
- Waiver or Release of Liability must be submitted by all students at their first class session. Students under 18 should obtain a Waiver Form, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and bring it with them to the first class. Download the Waiver Form.
- Be on time! All classes start on time. If you are late, your place may be given to a walk-in or standby student. Don’t be left out.
- Refund requests: When you complete your class, you may request a refund of the $20 fee, or you may choose to waive the refund and help make it possible for others to take the course. You must submit a refund request within 30 days of the end of class or forfeit the fee.
Download a Fact Sheet with more details about our Motorcycle Safety Training program.