Free Tax assistance is provided by Ladder Up. Contact the tax help number provided with any questions or concerns. Contact the Tax Assistance Program at (312) 409-1555. Library staff are not tax professionals and cannot provide assistance.
Please come in person to request an appointment with the Ladder Up representatives, otherwise services are provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
Be prepared with your questions for this event. Bring whatever documents are relevant to your question. Event subject to change. Always call to confirm hours before heading over.
Where: Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State St., 7th Floor, 312-747-4300
What to Bring
Please note: All sites operate on a first come, first served basis. Many sites will stop taking new clients well before the official closing time, so please arrive early.
- Social Security card (or ITIN card/letter) for yourself and all individuals that appear on your tax return
- Photo identification for yourself and your spouse (if you are filing a joint return)
- Birthdates for all individuals that appear on your tax return
Bank Account Information (if you use a bank account)
- Account number for your checking or savings account
- Routing number for your bank or credit union
Note: If you have a checkbook or a voided check, that information is sufficient for direct deposit of your tax refund (if you are eligible for a refund)
Income & Expense Documents
All income statements received for 2016
- Form W-2
- Form 1099-G
- Form 1099-R
- Unemployment statement
- Social Security benefits statement
- Bank statement showing interest earned
- Form 1099-MISC*
NOTE: If you are still waiting on missing income documents, please do not come to a Tax Assistance Program site until you have received all of your documents. You may need to contact your employer if you have not received your W-2 form by the end of January.
- Mortgage interest statement (Form 1098)
- Second (or final) bill for property taxes paid last year
- Form 1098-T for college tuition expenses (or other documentation showing your expenses related to college if your college does not issue Form 1098-T)
- Job-related expenses (if you are a sole proprietor or self-employed)*
*Note: If you are a sole proprietor or self-employed, Ladder Up will only be able to prepare your return at specific site locations.
- Child care expenses (Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number of the caretaker is required)
- Your tax return from last year (if available)
Health insurance information
- Proof of health insurance coverage (i.e. Form 1095-A, Form 1095-B, or Form 1095-C) OR
- Certificate of Exemption