Here’s the deal on free day at Museum of Science and Industry. Here’s what you get (and don’t get) at the Museum of Science and Industry, 5700 S Lake Shore Dr., 773-684-1414 on free day. All free museum days.
CTA 10 bus
Every year the CTA 10 bus begins service from Michigan Avenue to Museum of Science & Industry, from Memorial Day thru Labor Day, only. Yeah time to go to the museum again! There are five free days during this period June 4–7, 11–12, 2018.
$21.95 $19.95 online and Child (ages 3-11) – $12.95 $10.95 online2 On free day you can go to ticket kiosks to the left of the ticket counter and by entering your zip code get free tickets for your entire party.
You do not get access to any of the following:
- Giant Dome Theater
- U505 Tour on board
- Wow Tour
- Coal Mine
- Fab Lab
- Future Energy
Cost of special exhibits
To get access to any special exhibit costs $12 each per adult and $9 each per child. You can purchase tickets for these special exhibits at the ticket kiosk or you can wait until you get to the exhibit and buy a ticket at a smaller kiosk directly outside the exhibit. If the museum is busy and you wait to buy tickets they could be sold out. Here’s information about all exhibits. You can also buy packages to see multiple special exhibit. Info. here.
Plenty of free exhibits to see in one day
The U505 is a must see and the on-board tour is very interesting. The coal mine is very unique although lines can be long. The WOW Tour gives you insight into the museum. The “free” exhibits are excellent and interesting and would take you several days to get through. The MSI has over 400,000 square feet of exhibit space so it isn’t possible to see everything in one day. You should plan ahead and decide what you want to cover.
If you are thinking about visiting more than one attraction the City Pass or Go Chicago Card both offer the best discount you can find. Using these passes takes some planning but you will save a lot of money which you can reallocate to dining or hotel costs or something else.
- There’s only one set of elevators to move between floors located next to the “red stairs” so plan on taking a lot of stairs.
- There’s an escalator between Main Level 2 and Balcony Level 3 located on the west side of the floors.
- The P3 parking level is on the same level as ticket sales.
- The U505 and Coal Mine are very popular so try to conquer these early.
- The Zephyr is located behind the ticket counter in the entry hall.
- You can purchase food or bring your own in discretely. There are designated eating areas. You can also picnic outside in Jackson Park (where the museum is located).
- If you exit the museum on the east by the Giant Dome Theater in the Henry Crown Space Center turn left and walk up to just north of 57th Street you can walk through an underpass under Lake Shore Drive to 57th Street Beach. This beach has a beach house, restrooms, and food concession stand Tasty Grill (no website).
- Guide to the Art Institute of Chicago
- Here’s the deal on Free Day at the Adler Planetarium
- Here’s the deal on Free Day at the Field Museum
- Here’s the deal on Free Day at the Shedd Aquarium