Save money at Chicago area used book sales. Used book sales are a great way to buy books on the cheap and to help library systems raise badly needed revenue. It’s also great for the environment when we reuse old books rather than buying new one’s. Below are the top used book sales in 2017. Check every listing here.
Always call to confirm that the sale is on as dates may change.
Bring strong bags to carry your purchases. Also bring small bills and coins because you really don’t want to break a twenty to buy $3 in books.
Also note that many libraries have ongoing sales including the Chicago Public Library system. Ask the librarian where the sale books are located.
Near North Library: 310 W. Division Street,
April 22 10AM-4PM; April 24, 2017 1PM-7PM
Be smart with your money! Come check out the wide assortment of Books, DVDs, Music CDs and Audiobooks on CD that will be available for purchase.
Please be environmentally freindly by bringing bags to take home your purchases.
Please, no electronic devices.
The book sale is sponsored by the Near North Library Friends Association.
Mount Prospect Public Library, 10 S Emerson St, 847-253-5675
April 20 – 22, 2017
- Friends of Mount Prospect Public Library Present Another GIANT Sale!
- 35,000 Books!
- 90% donated; 60% hardcover
- All books over $0.25: Nonfiction books are categorized. Fiction books are categorized and alphabetized.
- Plus: CDs, DVDs, records, books on CD/tape, games and puzzles!
- Over 1000 books written in many world languages
- April sale only: Large Selection of Gardening Books
- Featuring new “Young Adult” section AND Science Fiction!
- Friends Preview Sale April 20
- Fri 6:30-9:30pm
- Not a member yet? Join the Friends at the door for $5/yr and attend the preview
- General Public Sale April 21 and 22
- Sat 9-4:30
- Sun noon-4
- Great Prices: Most .25-$1
- .25-$10 (Rare/autographed higher)
- Books were not ‘picked over’; no buyer restrictions.
- Scanners welcome. Handcarts available.
- We now take most credit cards. There is a $2 convenience fee for purchase under $100, $5 fee for purchase over $100.
- Ample free parking
- For more information contact: email@example.com
Friends of the Oak Brook Public Library, 600 Oak Brook Road (31st St), 630-368-7700
April 20 – 22, 2017
- FRIENDS OF THE OAK BROOK PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK SALE
- Thousands of Books in Extraordinary Condition
- Affordably priced
- No library withdrawals
- Over 8500 items:
- Books – dozens of genres
- CDs, DVDs
- Table of uncommon religious books
- Thursday April 20: 10am to 8pm
- 10am to 2pm
- $5 presale admission charge. $10 charge admission with any electronic scanning device
- Free all day for Friends Members
- 10am to 2pm
- Friday April 21
- 9:30am to 4:30pm Free
- Saturday April 22
- 9:30am to 3pm Free
- View special selected Auction items in lobby
- Auction bidding starts 3-1 ends noon 4-22.
- Cash or checks accepted
Des Plaines Public Library, 1501 Ellinwood St., 847-376-2922
April 21 – 23, 2017
- FRIENDS SPRING BOOK SALE
- Presenting THOUSANDS of BOOKS at BARGAIN PRICES!
- ALSO: Large collection of framed watercolor art work at reasonable prices
- Preview for members of the Friends
- Friday, April 21 from 6 pm to 8:30 pm
- Memberships available at the door; $5.00 for individuals, $10.00 for families.
- Sign up for numbers will begin at 4 pm
- Open to the Public
- Saturday, April 22 from 9:30 am to 4 pm
- Sunday, April 23 from 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- Sunday is bargain day.
- Most hard cover books are $1.00, better books slightly higher.
- Most are donated and are hard cover.
- Also CD’s, DVD’s, and audio books.
- Books are sorted into many categories, not picked over, no buyer’s restrictions.
- For information call (847) 376-2922
Schaumburg Twp District Library, 130 S. Roselle Rd
May 13; July 8; Sept 9; Nov 11
- Sat 9-2
- 4,000 books; 60% donated; 90% hardcover; paperbacks .50; hardcovers $1
Palatine Public Library , 700 N. North Court, 847-358-5881
- Sat 9:30-3, Sun 12:30-3
- Preview: Fri 6-9pm, $5 fee (Friends free)
- 15,000 books; 99% donated; sorted; paperbacks .50; hardcovers $1.50; trade pb $1; children’s .25; Sun half price
- Friends Members who help set up and orgainize sales may purchase books after set-up
Electronic devices are not allowed
Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave, 847-448-8600
- Fri, Sun, noon-5:30, Sat noon5:30
- Preview: Fri 10-noon, $5 fee
- 10,000 books; 98% donated; 75% hardcover; sorted; not ‘picked over’; no buyer restrictions; $2-$6; Sun half price