Save money at Chicago area used book sales. Used book sales are a great way to buy books on the cheap and to help library systems raise badly needed revenue. It’s also great for the environment when we reuse old books rather than buying new one’s. Check every listing here.
Always call to confirm that the sale is on as dates may change.
Bring strong bags to carry your purchases. Also bring small bills and coins because you really don’t want to break a twenty to buy $3 in books.
Also note that many libraries have ongoing sales including the Chicago Public Library system. Ask the librarian where the sale books are located.
Glencoe Public Library
320 Park Ave
March 3 – 5; June; Oct
- Sat 9-5, Sun noon-5, Mon 9-noon
- Preview: Fri 6-8pm, Friends members, Glencoe residents only
- Thousands of books; 95% donated; 50% hardcover; sorted; not ‘picked over’; no buyer restrictions; .50-$4; Sun half price, Mon $3/bag
Algonquin Area Public Library
115 Eastgate St.
March 8 – 11
- Spring 2018 Book Sale!
- Over 30,000 Books
- Sorted into 70 categories!
- All adult books are sorted and on shelves
- Over 9,000 items for children
- These are well organized in bins and on shelves
- Great Prices
- Adult books, $1 and up; children .25 and up
- Paperbacks .50; CDs $1, DVDs $2, books on CD $3
- Books are NOT picked over!
- Special categories will be featured for this sale
- Large FICTION section in alpha order
- Many unusual special books!
- March 8 to 11, 2018
- SERIOUS BUYERS PREVIEW SALE
- Thursday 4 to 7
- $10 Admission charge
- Adults only please
- REGULAR SALE HOURS – FREE ADMISSION
- Friday 4 to 8
- Saturday 10 to 2
- Sunday 1 to 4
- Sunday Books are HALF PRICE
- Refreshments available Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Rolling Meadows Library
3110 Martin Lane
March 8 – 11
- FRIENDS OF THE ROLLING MEADOWS LIBRARY SPRING BOOK SALE
- Featuring 10,000 BOOKS!
- Books donated from the community and from the library
- Sale also includes:
- CD’s, DVD’s
- videos, cassettes, records
- comic books
- Pre-Sale ($5 entrance fee)
- Thurs., March 8, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
- Regular Sale
- Friday, March 9, 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM
- Saturday, March 10, 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- Sunday, March 11, 1:00 to 4:00 PM
- These books were NOT picked over. NO buyer restrictions
- Sorted into categories for easy shopping
- Great Prices
- Paperbacks .50; hardcovers $1
- CD’s $1, DVD’s $2
- VHS, cassettes, records $.50
- Some items specially priced
- Don’t miss this sale – There’s something for everyone!
- Sale will be held at the upper level Community Room of the Rolling Meadows Library, 3110 Martin Lane, Rolling Meadows, Illinois.
- As a non-profit organization, we provide funds to the library for special equipment, programs and events of interest, not only to Rolling Meadows patrons but also to the surrounding communities.
- Visit the Friends web site
Arlington Heights Memorial Library
500 N. Dunton Ave
April 28 – 29; Oct 27 – 28
- Sat 9-4:30, Sun noon-4:30
- Preview: Fri 6-9pm, Friends; entry numbers available to members beginning at 9am. Membership at door: 6pm
- 75,000 books; 80% donated; 56% hardcover; includes DVDs, records, CDs, tapes; paperbacks .50-$1; hardcovers $1
- Silent Auction Sat 9-2
No scanners, cell phones, computers, etc.