Save money at Chicago area used book sales. Used book sales are a great way to buy books on the cheap and to help library systems raise badly needed revenue. It’s also great for the environment when we reuse old books rather than buying new one’s.
Always call to confirm all information before heading out as information is subject to change. Check every listing here.
Bring strong bags to carry your purchases. Also bring small bills and coins because you really don’t want to break a twenty to buy $3 in books.
Also note that many libraries have ongoing sales including the Chicago Public Library system. Ask the librarian where the sale books are located.
Open Books Call for hours and information
213 W Institute Pl 312-475-1355 x 100
905 W 19th St 312-243-9776
651 W Lake St 312-475-1355 x 100
Glencoe Public Library, 320 Park Ave, 847-835-5056
March 2 – 4; June; Oct
Sat 9-5, Sun noon-5, Mon 9-noon
Preview: Fri 6-8pm, Friends members, Glencoe residents only
Thousands of books; 95% donated; sorted; not ‘picked over’; no buyer restrictions; .50-$4; Sun half price, Mon $3/bag
Algonquin Area Public Library, Eastgate Branch, 115 Eastgate St., 847-658-4343
March 7 – 10
- Spring 2019 Book Sale!
- Over 30,000 Books
- Sorted into 70 categories!
- All adult books are sorted and on shelves
- Over 9,000 items for children
- These are well organized in bins and on shelves
- Great Prices
- Adult books, $1 and up; children .25 and up
- Paperbacks .50; CDs $1, DVDs $2, books on CD $3
- Books are NOT picked over!
- Special categories will be featured for this sale
- Large FICTION section in alpha order
- Many unusual special books!
- March 7 to March 10, 2019
- SERIOUS BUYERS PREVIEW SALE
- Thursday 4 to 7
- $10 Admission charge
- Adults only please
- REGULAR SALE HOURS – FREE ADMISSION
- Friday 4 to 8
- Saturday 10 to 2
- Sunday 1 to 4
- Sunday Books are HALF PRICE
- Refreshments available Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Rolling Meadows Library 3110 Martin Lane 847-259-6050
March 7 – 10
- FRIENDS OF THE ROLLING MEADOWS LIBRARY SPRING BOOK SALE
- Featuring 10,000 BOOKS!
- Books donated from the community and from the library
- The sale also includes:
- CD’s, DVD’s
- videos, cassettes, records
- comic books
- All at bargain prices!
- Pre-Sale ($5 entrance fee)
- Thursday March 7, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
- Regular Sale
- Friday, March 8, 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM
- Saturday, March 9, 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- Sunday, March 10, 1:00 to 4:00 PM
- These books were NOT picked over. NO buyer restrictions
- Sorted into categories for easy shopping
- Great Prices
- Hardcover books $1; Paperbacks .50
- CD’s $1, DVD’s $2
- VHS, cassettes & records $.50
- Some items specially priced
- Sale will be held at the upper level Community Room of the Rolling Meadows Library, 3110 Martin Lane, Rolling Meadows, Illinois.
- As a non-profit organization, we provide funds to the library for special equipment, programs and events of interest, not only to Rolling Meadows patrons but also to the surrounding communities.
- Visit the Friends web site
Arlington Heights Memorial Library, 500 N. Dunton Ave, 847-392-0100
April 27 – 28; Oct 26 – 27, Sat 9-4:30, Sun 11-4:30 (adults); Children’s sale 11-3:30
Preview: Fri 6-9pm, Friends; entry numbers available to members beginning at 9am. join at door: 6pm
75,000 books; 80% donated; 56% hardcover; includes DVDs, records, CDs, tapes; paperbacks .50-$1; hardcovers $1; teachers: 25% off, must show ID. Adult Sale: Half-Price DVDs, CDs, Vinyl records, VHS. Children’s Sale: Sunday $5/bag Silent Auction Sat 9-2. No scanners, cell phones, computers, etc.