Free Urban Livestock Expo
When: Sat, February 29, 2020; 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Where: Prosser Career Academy, 2148 N. Long, Chicago, 773-340-9448 or email@example.com. Register here
Advocates for Urban Agriculture’s (AUA) Urban Livestock Expo returns with FREE, family-friendly workshops on raising bees, goats, chickens, ducks, quail and more in your yard.
20 FREE workshops including
- Raising goats, chickens, ducks, bees, and quail in the city
- Workshop topics include: care and maintenance of Bees, chickens, goats, and quails/ducks.
- Presenters include long-time farmed animal keepers and experts such as Jen Murtoff, Oscar Villa, Jana Kinsman, Greg Fisher and more.
- Tours to explore the facility of our host, Prosser Career Academy: learn about their 2 acre urban farm and the amazing work they are doing with the school and their culinary program and the surrounding community.
- Spanish-only workshops offered and interpretation from English to Spanish will be available as well.
- All skill and experience levels are welcome!Share this unique opportunity with your friends, family and colleagues and
Urban Livestock Resource Fair
Connect with local urban livestock groups and businesses for information on further learning opportunities, support networks, sources of supplies, equipment, and more. Food Vendors will include Queer House Kitchen and Prosser Career Academy Culinary program.
Chicago Safe Soils Initiative Project
This collaborative initiative between University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, the University of Illinois Extension, and Advocates for Urban Agriculture (AUA) is building tools to inform stakeholder decision-making and develop evidence-based guidelines for soil risk to food production in Chicago, with the support of the UIUC College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES).
You can help us by submitting a soil sample from your urban garden, farm, or yard to our lab for FREE Pb screening In-ground soil samples (i.e., not raised beds) preferred, but all samples welcomed. Link for instructions on how to get a soil sample. You can bring your soil sample to the Urban Livestock Expo for testing.